24 June 2014

Review: Reason to Breathe

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Rebecca Donovan
Format: Paperback
Pages: 456
Rating: 6 out of 10

Summary (I breathe easier with Goodreads): "No one tried to get involved with me, and I kept to myself. This was the place where everything was supposed to be safe and easy. How could Evan Mathews unravel my constant universe in just one day?"

In the affluent town of Weslyn, Connecticut, where most people worry about what to be seen in and who to be seen with, Emma Thomas would rather not be seen at all. She’s more concerned with feigning perfection—pulling down her sleeves to conceal the bruises, not wanting anyone to know how far from perfect her life truly is. Without expecting it, she finds love. It challenges her to recognize her own worth―at the risk of revealing the terrible secret she’s desperate to hide.

One girl’s story of life-changing love, unspeakable cruelty, and her precarious grasp of hope: Reason to Breathe is the first installment of the acclaimed Breathing Series.

What I think: This book did not seem like it was 456 pages. It felt like it was 20. I went through this novel so quickly. It was like watching a good movie, where the time flies and you are so absorbed into the show that you forget the world exists. I was right there with the characters. 

Sarah bothered me a little bit. Calm down, please. You know what your friend is going through so you shouldn't get so upset about certain things she says. Her reactions to certain things made me very upset. What the heck kind of friend are you?

I felt so helpless. Every time Emma went home, I would get so sad for her. I wished that I could help her. What makes this worse is that while I was reading this novel, I was dealing with a friend who has had struggles like these in her life. It was hard to see it from the perspective of the person involved. It was hard. I was emotional. It was bad.

You know what really made me angry? Ending the novel how it did. Kristen only gave me the first one and suddenly, I was attacking her because I needed the next one. I'm all for cliffhangers but this just wasn't fair. I promise there will be much more complaining about this in the review for the second in the series when it becomes a bigger deal. Anyway, I feel horrible for anyone who read this novel and then had to wait to get their hands on the next in the series. It's just cruel. I would have died.

Basically: You get sucked into this novel and will find yourself reading it very quickly. I didn't realize how long it was until I began to write this review. I enjoyed the series but the end of this novel bothered me a lot. This novel offers a unique perspective that I am lucky to have not gotten otherwise. I would recommend this novel. Try not to cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...