8 June 2014

Review: Maybe Someday

Reviewer: Kelsey (Kristen is being stupid)
Author: Colleen Hoover
Format: Paperback
Pages: 384
Rating: 9 out of 10

Summary (Maybe someday Goodreads will love me back): Sydney is living in an idyllic bubble - she's a dedicated student with a steady job on the side. She lives with her best friend, has a great boyfriend, and the music coming from the balcony opposite hers is fast becoming the soundtrack to her life. But when Sydney finds out her boyfriend is cheating on her, the bubble bursts. The mysterious and attractive man behind the music, Ridge, gives Sydney hope that she can move on and they begin to write songs together. But moving on is harder than she expects, Sydney can only hope…. Maybe someday… Colleen Hoover draws you in to this passionate tale of music, love and betrayal…

My Thoughts: What? Nine out of ten isn't good enough for you? Pft...

Actually, I loved this book. I thought it was just about perfect. I don't say that often. I would read this novel 100 more times (I had to give it back to Kristen but I'm contemplating my own copy). 

First off, this novel has a soundtrack to match it which is wonderful. I loved the music as well as the idea of having music to go with it. I missed the first few songs as I was reading but I went back to listen to them later. I ended up downloading the soundtrack I liked it so much. It does a good job of putting you in the story. It really makes the novel an experience. You, of course, don't need to listen to it but I recommend it. At the very least you can say you listened to a book. I thought it added a lot of character and a lot about the characters too.

This novel was really funny. At times, I was actually laughing out loud. People around me were judging me but I don't care it was worth it. The pranks are genius and hilarious. I want to try a few. I especially love the last one that Ridge does to his buddy. Boys are entertaining. 

The writing in this is...wonderful. I need a new word. It was magnificent? Kristen says it was stupendous but it sounds too much like stupid; I don't like it. Whatever, you get the gist. It was really, super good. I love Colleen Hoover; I'll continue to read her novels. She is so talents and always seems to get emotions just right. Everything is always said at the exact right moment. Add her to the list of author's I have a writing crush on.

Each character was extremely unique. This is one of the few novels where I found that there was a motivation behind every character. They weren't ignored or skimmed over. Things were happening in the background so that you don't just learn about the main characters but the secondary ones as well. This allows for you to better understand reactions as well as the main characters through their friends. I think every writer should put more time into their secondary characters and all around back story. Also, I love how Sydney and Ridge come to communicate with each other. I love how it was all wrapped up and tied together even though the action died down quite a bit before the actual end of the story.

It switches perspective. This was well done. It wasn't awkward or off at all. I thought they could both be real people, unlike when the guy doesn't really seem like a guy.

Slight spoiler (Skip paragraph to avoid): This was my first novel with a deaf character. It was an interesting perspective. This made the novel even more unique though it was at times awkward because of how he handled certain things. I mean, maybe it's normal. I don't know because I don't even know of anybody that is deaf. I'm very interested in characters with a unique perspective. I'll have to look for some more characters like this.

Summary: This is a great love story that I want to read over and over. It made me both happy and sad. I laughed. I cried. I freaked out. It made me feel a variety of things. I recommend this book, not to any specific type of person even. Okay, maybe you should like love stories. Check it out and tell me your thoughts. I LOVE IT!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...