17 June 2014

Review: The One

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Kiera Cass
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 217
Rating: 6 out of 10

** Spoiler Alert -- This is the third in a series. Check out The Selection and The Elite **

Summary (Goodreads is the ONE): The Selection changed America Singer's life in ways she never could have imagined. Since she entered the competition to become the next princess of Illéa, America has struggled with her feelings for her first love, Aspen--and her growing attraction to Prince Maxon. Now she's made her choice . . . and she's prepared to fight for the future she wants.
Find out who America will choose in The One, the enchanting, beautifully romantic third book in the Selection series!
My Thoughts: What are my thoughts? Do I have thoughts? Well, I'm very opinionated so I must be thinking something. This would probably be easier had I written it right away.
What do I remember feeling about this novel the most? I felt like the ending came out of nowhere. It was so sudden and so quick. It ended the novel so quickly. This was a three book series, I expected so much more for all the build up. I was not surprised. I was left horribly unsatisfied. The book just drops off without telling the reader what happened next. What happened after? Did it end well? Did the problems go away? I don't know because the author didn't tell me. I choose to believe it all ended well but I also made up my own ending in my mind.
Also, America, shut up and listen to Aspen for like six seconds. Stop being so self-centered and listen to what he has to tell you. I assume that this was used to leave the reader wondering what he thought was important. What did he have to say? But I figured out what he had to say the moment he said he had something to say. I was not surprised. I was only surprised he didn't make himself heard. 
I thought that this novel was okay. I probably will not reread this series. Kristen told me to read them so I did but I got mad with every single character at least once and it was not a good thing. I wanted to hit a few of them upside the head. This made me very unhappy. Everyone needs to get their stuff together. I'm tired of their shenanigans. 
So: This was the final book in a trilogy. It ended the series...okay, neither of those things really say much, I'll give you that. How about this: it could have been so much more and I feel like I'm still waiting to know what happened, and that's not because I was so attached to the characters that I want a fourth in this series. I just wish there were two more chapters that concluded everything. An epilogue that actually went into the future would be nice. I don't want to hear more about their love lives, I want to know what happened politically. Don't make something big just to drop it into a hole and leave it there to die. People notice when that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...