1 November 2013

Bones of the Lost

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Kathy Reichs
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 336
Rating: 8 out of 10

Summary (GoodReads love): When Charlotte police discover the body of a teenage girl along a desolate stretch of two-lane highway, Temperance Brennan fears the worst. The girl’s body shows signs of foul play. Inside her purse police find the ID card of a prominent local businessman, John-Henry Story, who died in a horrific flea market fire months earlier. Was the girl an illegal immigrant turning tricks? Was she murdered?

The medical examiner has also asked Tempe to examine a bundle of Peruvian dog mummies confiscated by U.S. Customs. A Desert Storm veteran named Dominick Rockett stands accused of smuggling the objects into the country. Could there be some connection between the trafficking of antiquities and the trafficking of humans?

As the case deepens, Tempe must also grapple with personal turmoil. Her daughter Katy, grieving the death of her boyfriend in Afghanistan, impulsively enlists in the Army. Meanwhile, Katy’s father Pete is frustrated by Tempe’s reluctance to finalize their divorce. As pressure mounts from all corners, Tempe soon finds herself at the center of a conspiracy that extends all the way from South America, to Afghanistan, and right to the center of Charlotte.

Thoughts: Let me start by saying how much I love Tempe...a lot. How can you not love her? Sure, sometimes she is a little bit stupid and goes where she shouldn't but she cares so much about people. I love how hard she fought for the murder victim in this novel. I was also surprised to find how much the one cop cared in the end; it seemed like he didn't care for most of the novel.

I'm glad that the novels seemingly three story lines all ended up back together though it would never happen like this is real life. The conspiracy might exist like it did but what are the chances that she would get all the pieces and be able to put them together like she did.

One of my favourite things about Kathy Riechs novels is that the science is more realistic then it is on TV. Things don't happen fast. This novel has large time gaps in it almost as proof. 

But what's up with Pete? Also, I want more Ryan. Plus, Katy is crazy to just enlist like that but I guess that all that matters is that she is happy.

I wish that the novel would specifically say that she told the cops where she went when she runs off because she runs off all the time and it kind of makes me want to punch Tempe in the face. Like, call the police first or something if you can't get a hold of someone specific. Fine, run around risking your life if you want. I understand that the whole reason is to build suspense and to add action, and it does do that but seriously...

I like that she traveled during the novel. Kathy Reichs often travels to do her work so it stands that Tempe would to. I love that element of realism. I think it really adds some sense of movement to the novel too. She doesn't just sit in one spot. Plus, it's kind of exciting.

Final Thoughts: In all honestly, I will probably continue to buy Kathy Reichs no matter what happens. She could write another 16 novels and I would be more than happy to wait at Chapters on the release date. I'm hooked and will always be hooked. Maybe that makes my opinion on the matter a little bit bias so if you don't believe me than maybe you should go out and buy the book. If not this book than one of her many others. I have them all and they are beautiful. Tell me what you think, I could be blinded by my constant fangirling!

P.S. Sorry I've been MIA, school is sucking the life out of me this year. Hopefully, I'm back now but no promises! Love you all, lovely people.

P.P.S. If Kathy Reichs or anyone that works with her is out there, SEND ME THE NEXT BOOK!! Pleeeeeease.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...