21 May 2013

Fragments (Partials Sequence #2)

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Dan Wells
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 564
Rating: 9 out of 10

**Spoiler Alert: Check out Partials First**

Summary (Goodreads version): Kira Walker has found the cure for RM, but the battle for the survival of humans and Partials is just beginning. Kira has left East Meadow in a desperate search for clues to who she is. That the Partials themselves hold the cure for RM in their blood cannot be a coincidence--it must be part of a larger plan, a plan that involves Kira, a plan that could save both races. Her companions are Afa Demoux, an unhinged drifter and former employee of ParaGen, and Samm and Heron, the Partials who betrayed her and saved her life, the only ones who know her secret. But can she trust them?

Meanwhile, back on Long Island, what's left of humanity is gearing up for war with the Partials, and Marcus knows his only hope is to delay them until Kira returns. But Kira's journey will take her deep into the overgrown wasteland of postapocalyptic America, and Kira and Marcus both will discover that their greatest enemy may be one they didn't even know existed.

The second installment in the pulse-pounding Partials saga is the story of the eleventh hour of humanity's time on Earth, a journey deep into places unknown to discover the means--and even more important, a reason--for our survival.

Thoughts: Firstly, I love (and hate/freak out about) the idea behind this story because, as I mentioned in the Partials review, it could really happen. I may have read the this book and really the whole series too fast. I will be reading them again before I read the third in the series.

One of the highlights of this book is that it can go from not a lot of action to the characters running for their lives or to something huge happening to them because they are in a dangerous, unknown place and there is a war going on. Something is always around the next corner. There is always another battle to fight or person to defeat. It makes for a very interesting story that always keeps your attention. 

I was also glad that the reader saw what was happening to more than just Kira, not that her part of the story isn't great. I like knowing what is happening in every part of the story. I like knowing what the other characters are doing when they are not with the main character. I'm just nosy like that.

Also, the science behind RM and the partials is great. It add so much to the story to believe it. Plus, who doesn't love a good conspiracy with all the creators adding secret back-up plans that foil everything. It remind me a bit of the television show Revolution. There are a bunch of secret plots and plans. There is always something new to learn about the story line. The story does however run the risk of becoming too complicated if the author isn't careful but so far Dan Wells hasn't gone overboard. He just keeps you thinking and trying to figure out the solution to the problems that exist. I want to fight just as hard as Kira does. Her strength and courage are amazing throughout the story. I love strong female roles!

Oh my god, the cliff hanger! I hate it so much. Talk about being left hanging...and not just from one point of view but from all of them. Every single part, Kira's, Marcus', and the friends/adoptive sisters' points of view, has a cliff hanger that makes you want to throw the book out the window! I believe that this is fitting:


Final: I really loved this novel! I read it right after the first one before realizing that the third in the series is not yet out. I almost cried when I found that out because now I have to wait to find out how it ends. It's going to kill me. I cannot wait until the third book comes out and I can find out what's happening to the characters. I think that if you like books like The Hunger Games or other dystopian novels, you should take a look at this series.

Dan Wells...Put out the next one!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...