13 April 2014

Review: A Midsummer Night's Dream

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: William Shakespeare
Format: Paperback - Play
Pages: 209
Rating: (as if what I say about Shakespeare will count for anything in this world) 6 out of 10

Summary (I doth need Goodreads): Unique features of the Signet Classic Shakespeare An extensive overview of Shakespeare's life, world, and theater by the general editor of the Signet Classic Shakespeare series, Sylvan Barnet A special introduction to the play by the editor, Wolfgang Clemen, University of Munich A note on the sources from which Shakespeare derived A Midsummer Night's Dream Dramatic criticism from the past and present: commentaries by William Hazlitt, John Russell Brown, Frank Kermode, Linda Bamber, Camille Wells Slights A comprehensive stage and screen history of notable actors, directors, and productions of A Midsummer Night's Dream, then and now Text, notes, and commentaries printed in the clearest, most readable type Up-to-date list of recommended readings.

...Well, thanks Goodreads...that really makes me want to read this book. Are you kidding? That's what I get? That's less than useful. What am I supposed to do with that? Urg, Goodreads, you have LET ME DOWN!

We are just going to move on then...

My Quick Thoughts: This is another one of those books that some people read in school so a lot of people don't consider giving it a read. I think it's worth the time. It's a play so it doesn't require all that much time. That said, I'd much rather see the play than read it. If you like Shakespeare and understand the language without help from the book (my copy didn't have many notes but I always understood Shakespeare in high school so I did fine) then maybe this would be a good novel to read. 

I loved that we saw what was happening even when the main characters didn't. That happens a lot in Shakespeare but it was especially important in this play. The beginning was a bit confusing as far as who loves who and I had to glance a couple times at the Dramatis Personae, I won't lie to you. Eventually, you catch up and no longer need that. It was funny too. I managed to laugh at a few of the jokes or situations. It really did get all screwed up. The ending was a bit random even with my background knowledge into Latin myths, but whatever. Shakespeare is king and can do whatever he wants to do. 

So, yeah, if you liked Shakespeare in high school, give this one a try. It's not as exciting as Romeo and Juliet or Hamlet (which remains my favourite thanks to David Tennant in the version I watched) but it's still good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...