26 November 2012

Stolen

Stolen: A Letter to My CaptorReviewer: Kristen
Author: Lucy Christopher
Pages: 301
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 7 out of 10

Summary (where would we be without you, Goodreads?): It happened like this. I was stolen from an airport. Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to. Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him.

This is my story.

A letter from nowhere. 


Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back? 

The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost.

My Thoughts: I think it's fair to say, that this is an extremely mind boggling read. I read it cover cover, and quite literally did not know how I thought it would end. Moreover, I couldn't figure out how I wanted  it to end. The whole book is written as a letter to Gemma's kidnapper. I thought that they way Lucy Christopher described everything made the book come alive, and as I have never experienced a place quite like the outback, it made it a lot easier to follow. It's one of those stories with a driving plot that made it near impossible to even think about putting it down. The beginning started a little slow for me, and the end almost seemed rushed, but you can't have everything. It's not a particularly long story, and I think it's definitely worth your time to check out! 

Final Thoughts: Bizarre but consuming! 

Reviewer: Kelsey
Rating: 7 out of 10

My Thoughts: (I need to pay more attention because I've read this too!) I really liked this story. At first I just thought it was original (I'm a sucker for originality). Then I thought that Gemma was a bit crazy. I liked that this story was in the form of a letter. I had never read anything in that format before so I liked that it was different. I too read it very quickly. It was an easy read but you also need to find out how it ends. I agree with Kristen that the novel lacked a bit of balance. The beginning was slow but once the pace picked up, it really picked up. 

Final Thoughts: I made Kristen buy it, now you should!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...