10 November 2014

Review: Stay With Me

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Jennifer Armentrout
Format: Paperback
Pages: 448
Rating: 6 out of 10

Summary (Staying with Goodreads): At 21, Calla hasn’t done a lot of things. She’s never been kissed, never seen the ocean, never gone to an amusement park. But growing up, she witnessed some things no child ever should. She still carries the physical and emotional scars of living with a strung-out mother, Mona—secrets she keeps from everyone, including her close circle of college friends.

But the safe cocoon Calla has carefully built is shattered when she discovers her mom has stolen her college money and run up a huge credit card debt in her name. Now, Calla has to go back to the small town she thought she'd left behind and clean up her mom’s mess again. Of course, when she arrives at her mother’s bar, Mona is nowhere to be found. Instead, six feet of hotness named Jackson James is pouring drinks and keeping the place humming.

Sexy and intense, Jax is in Calla’s business from the moment they meet, giving her a job and helping her search for Mona. And the way he looks at her makes it clear he wants to get horizontal . . . and maybe something more. Before Calla can let him get close, though, she’s got to deal with the pain of the past—and some very bad guys out to mess her up if she doesn’t give them her mom.

What I Think: Kristen did not like this book as much as I did. From what she told me, it didn't live up to her expectations. However, I liked it. I thought that it felt pretty well into this series (which isn't really all that much of a series). I love that you don't have to read this in order or really remember anything that happened in the other novels. 

I enjoyed the main characters as well as the fact that the old characters were tied in. I thought that the story was sufficiently interesting. It could have been more but most novels could be. But Kristen was right, this was a pretty long novel. Some parts seemed too unnecessary. They could've been cut but oh well is all I have to say about that.

Let's move on two my two major problems with this novel. Neither of these things were deal breakers, mind you. Firstly, the swearing. Swearing can be a good thing in novels. I mean, people swear. Face the facts. So, it's okay for books to swear too. They are supposed to be life like (sometimes). Now all that is true but when novels swear almost just for the sake of swearing, it seems off. This is one of those novels were the swearing just seems off. It's overdone. It stands out. It's just too much in this novel. I dealt with it.

Secondly, the chick in this novel has some seriously screwed up priorities. Like really, all this bad stuff is happening to you but you think that it's important for you to focus on the hot body? Try to think about the problems that you've got to deal with...you've got plenty of them! It drove me nuts. Sex this, sex that, sex, hot boy, sex, look the hot boy. STOP IT GIRL YOU GOT BIGGER PROBLEMS RIGHT NOW! She was killing me. I could look past it but only so much. Still, it stood out.

That said, the book was interesting. Try to focus more on the characters and their interactions than the plot, maybe. It helped me anyway.

Conclusion: It was good but not anywhere close to Jennifer Armentrout's best. I wouldn't recommend starting with this novel. Try another. If you've read her before than go for it! Don't listen to Kristen. I'm glad that I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...