18 November 2012

Switched

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Amanda Hocking
Format: Paperback (Series book)
Pages: 318
Rating: 7 out of 10

Summary (via Goodreads): When Wendy Everly was six years old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. Eleven years later, Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. She’s not the person she’s always believed herself to be, and her whole life begins to unravel—all because of Finn Holmes.

Finn is a mysterious guy who always seems to be watching her. Every encounter leaves her deeply shaken…though it has more to do with her fierce attraction to him than she’d ever admit. But it isn’t long before he reveals the truth: Wendy is a changeling who was switched at birth—and he’s come to take her home.

Now Wendy’s about to journey to a magical world she never knew existed, one that’s both beautiful and frightening. And where she must leave her old life behind to discover who she’s meant to become…


My thoughts: I need to start by saying that I accidentally read the second and third books in this series before reading the first one which kind of confused me. Luckily, they are good enough to pick up on the second and still be able to understand. I don't really recommend this, however, and definitely not for the third book!

I really enjoyed the idea behind this story. Let's say that I'm a fan of awesome, super, magic powers. The characters were relate-able (not all the cool magic stuff but who they were as people and the fact that Wendy was in denial). Finn made me a bit mad but he is better explained towards the end of the first novel and in more detail in the second. Thank God! My favourite part might be that the character, for the most part, had redeeming qualities to make up for their weaknesses. 

What I didn't like was how certain words were too often repeated. Sometimes the same word would be in the paragraph four or five times. You can get past it by putting yourself deep into the novel. After a time you stop noticing them. This is a small error and I just attribute it to the age of the writer. 

Final Insights: I love that the author is younger. Being a young writer myself, it gives me some hope for my own work. This causes me to want to support the writer. Point for self-publishing. 

I really enjoyed all three of these books. This is truly a story that you can get lost in and characters that you can fall in love with. I could even understand the motivation for the bad guys! I would definitely recommend this novel.

<---Book two                                     Book three --->

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...