19 January 2015

Review: Revolution 19

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Gregg Rosenblum
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 265
Rating: 4 out of 10
[The ratings have been low lately. I don't know what's up with that. Maybe I finally started reading our review policy. If something seems funny about my rating and you don't believe it, please feel free to check out my goodreads (link on the side) or our review policy here. We try to pride ourselves on having honest reviews but it seems like rating is harder than anything else that we have to do. Our deepest apologies if there has been any confusion.]

Summary (Via the Goodreads revolution): Twenty years ago, the robots designed to fight our wars abandoned the battlefields. Then they turned their weapons on us.

Only a few escaped the robot revolution of 2071. Kevin, Nick, and Cass are lucky —they live with their parents in a secret human community in the woods. Then their village is detected and wiped out. Hopeful that other survivors have been captured by bots, the teens risk everything to save the only people they have left in the world—by infiltrating a city controlled by their greatest enemies.

Revolution 19 is a cinematic thriller unlike anything else. With a dynamic cast of characters, this surefire blockbuster has everything teen readers want—action, drama, mystery, and romance. Written by debut novelist Gregg Rosenblum, this gripping story shouldn’t be missed.
 

What I Think: The problem with this novel was not the central plot of the story. It equal parts scared and interested me. I thought that it was unique enough. It wasn't brand-spanking new, sure, but still. It seemed to make enough sense. The problem wasn't in the perspective which allows insights into the minds of most of the characters and also allows the reader to get a rather large picture of what is happening in the world. The problem was not that the main focus of the story was not a love story. It was refreshing to have a story focused on love of family, parents and siblings, over everything else. Actually, that may have been my favourite thing about this novel. I enjoyed the interaction between siblings. 

The problem was that the novel felt incredibly long when it was actually, after thinking on it, too short. The novel should have slowed down and expanded on...well, just about everything. It could have been so much more. I expected it to be so much more. I'd wanted to read this novel for so long and was disappointed that it didn't really get into too much. It could've slowed down a bit and still be alright. Maybe the solution to this problem could have been to put the first two books in this series together. I'll let you know after I read the next one but it probably won't be any time soon since I wasn't really too interested in this novel. 

I found that, due to the strange pace of the novel as well as the many, many characters that seemed thrown at me in the few pages that made up this novel, I was missing and/or ignoring huge hunks of description. This may have just been me. Actually, it's extremely likely that this is my own fault and nothing more but it still bothered me. 

Conclusion: I wish this novel had slowed down and gone into more detail. I liked the sibling interaction; it was different. This novel wasn't my cup of tea. I think that it would be more enjoyed by middle school or high school aged kids, boys in particular. In my mind, it just could have been more and that makes me very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...