2 July 2014

Review: Every Day

Reviewer: Kristen 
Author: David Levithan 
Pages: 322
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 7 out of 10

Summary (thanksies Goodreads): Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.

There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.

My Thoughts: Holy moly, this book is different than what I'm used to. As soon as I read the summary, I knew that I had to pick this up. It was such a different premise from the typical "oh shit the world is ending" and the "oh shit you're hot" kind of books that I normally read. And I mean, while  I do love me some dystopia and some romance, going outside of my comfort zone is nice once and a while. I mean, really, it's not that out of my comfort zone. It's just not a straight up romance novel. It's different.

Honestly, 95% of the time, I really enjoyed this book. The other 5% was either me going, "Okay, is this over yet?" or "Was this really necessary to the story?". And, yeah, I guess most books have their moments, but it just felt like they were really obvious in this one. Some of the plot lines didn't really make sense to me, and it just felt like filler.

Onto the characters. Now, for the most part I liked A. I mean, I can't even imagine I would be able to cope with changing bodies every day, let alone fall in love with a person in one of those bodies. So, most the time, I was on board with what they did. However, when they started to mess with other people's lives I was a little iffy. I mean ya, you do you and whatever, but to what extent? Though the messing with the lives left for some very interesting plot twisty events (some of them, again, felt unncessary to the story as a whole). Rhiannon, I don't know about her. I think I liked her, but sometimes she felt a little too young, or a little too naive. Who knows, it's been 5 months and I still don't have a solid opinion on her. 

Final Thoughts: Definitely interesting, and definitely not like anything I've ever read before. You should check you out. It's a quick, easy read. Perfect for summer. 

P.S, anyone whose read this: what do you think of the fact their is a sequel in the making? I'm not too sure about it. Will you pick it up?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how I feel about the sequel, although I was intrigued by the apparent reveal of a bad guy.

    Kate @ Ex Libris


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...