29 January 2014

The Elite (The Selection #2)

Reviewer: Kristen
Author: Kiera Cass 
Pages: 323
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 7 out of 10

** Spoiler Alert! Even reading the summary will spoil you. You've been warned! **

Summary (you da bomb.com, Goodreads):Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.


My Thoughts: So, the last review I totally just spewed on and on about the characters. I'll try to refrain from doing that this time, because my opinion on most of them haven't changed. This book got me, I read it one sitting and I'm now anxiously counting down the days until the next one comes out. May 6th, for those of you not in the know. 

So, this one basically reaffirmed my hatred for America. Okay, put away the eagles, this girl is talking about the character. (I'm so funny, right?! Just... play along...) I really really disliked her, which is awkward. You'd think I'd want to be done with her character, but that is not the case. This one she gets bad for flip flopping between Aspen and Maxon. Seriously, at a few points, her mind literally changes every chapter. It was bad, but I kept going and I'm glad that I did. 

For some reason, this story stuck with me. It wasn't written in any fantastic way, and the narration wasn't to die for, but I can't get it out of my head. So, I guess that's the mark of a good novel, right? Maxon only made me love him more, Aspen only made me hate him more. (Remember when I said I wouldn't talk about characters....hahahahahah) 

And on that note...

Final Thoughts: It was a good read, I mean, I am biting my nails to the stubs waiting for the next one. (Only somewhat of an exaggeration). 

___________________________________________________
Reviewer: Kelsey
Rating: 6 out of 10

What I think: Like the first in this series, I think that this novel could be a lot more. Also, like the first in this series, I quite enjoyed this novel. It pulled me in, though I couldn't say why or how it managed to do that. 

I hate Aspen even more. Can't he just leave it all alone?
I'm not sure what to do with Maxon. I saw some things with him coming and other I didn't. He seemed to jump around a lot like I thought America did in The Selection. I'm mad at some of his choices. Am I surprised at what the author did for plot twists? Not really.
America still can't make up her bloody mind and it still bugs me. I feel like her emotions and interests are just made up as the author goes because I can't grasp her character. I think I have a handle on her than she randomly changes her mind. Clearly, it will end with her making some kind of decision. I have my own thoughts on who she should choose, of course.

The end of this novel pointed to a decision but I have a feeling that, in the end, it won't make a difference. It makes me angry. It's like she's made up her mind but keeps bouncing back to the other guy. Frankly, I'm tired of her and her nonsense. She's basically using two people and leading them on. Why bother fighting for something you don't want? I hope this issue is quickly resolved cause it's starting to bore me. I'd prefer more of a story that wasn't focused on her bouncing around.

So: I plan on finishing the series but I'm not really happy about it. I'm tired of America not choosing because I feel she already made a choice, not once but twice. The ending of this novel didn't do it for me but I really have no say in it so whatever. I'm not sure why I get so interested in these novels when they are in front of me. We shall see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...