27 February 2013

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour

Amy and Roger's Epic DetourReviewer: Kristen
Author: Morgan Matson
Pages: 344
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 8½ out of 10

Summary (you da greatest, Goodreads): Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn’t seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she’s coming to terms with her father’s death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road--diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards--this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

My Thoughts: So, this one's going to be short and sweet. Partly because I had made this draft a while ago (aka when I actually finished the book) and therefore don't really have much to say about it, and partly because I'm excited to get back to the other book I'm currently reading. If you're looking for a cute summer love, this book is for you! I loved Amy, and I loved how she didn't just jump into the romantic thoughts in regards to Roger. You know what I'm talking about? When suddenly just because they're thrown into an albeit awkward situation, she suddenly wants him in her pants? At any rate, that's not what Amy does. I also really enjoyed that both had their own baggage. They helped each other, they grew together, they were there for each other when no one else really was. I hated how Amy treated her mother, as I think the way she acted was pretty understandable under the circumstances. I also didn't like how the book ended. I'm the kind of person who likes the promise of a happy ever after, not a subtle hint that it might happen. But, you can't have it all! 

Final Thoughts: Good read! Cute, funny, pulls at the heart strings!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...