26 January 2015

Review: The Little Princess

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Format; ebook
Pages: 257
Rating: 8.5 out of 10

Summary (from the not so little Goodreads): Sara Crewe seemed just like a real princess... When Sara Crewe arrives at Miss Minchin's London boarding school, she seems just like a real little princess. She wears beautiful clothes, has gracious manners, and tells the most wonderful stories. Then one day, Sara suddenly becomes penniless. Now she must wear rags, sleep in the school's dreary attic, and work for her living. Sara is all alone, but keeps telling herself that she can still be a princess inside, if only she tries hard enough.

My Little Thoughts: I had to read this book for one of my English classes this semester so it started off on my hate list. I was glad to find out that the book wasn't school bad. It was actually super good. I found my heart breaking for little Sara, time and time again. But she was just such a good person that she continued to rise above everything that was thrown her way. There were not many surprises in the novel. There really was no big plot twist. The reader could figure out what was coming easily but that really wasn't the point of the novel. The point, I thought, was that she remained herself through terrible obstacles and that she helped people even when she didn't have that much to give.

I'd recommend this book to pretty much anyone. It's a children's book but not immature so it's good for both young and old alike. It's just a super good book about how people can do good things for others. Plus, I thought that Sara was adorable. It's a quick read so you should check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...