8 March 2014

Review: My Parents are Sex Maniacs: A High School Horror Story

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Robyn Harding
Format: Paperback
Pages: 224
Rating: 6ish out of 10

Summary (I'm a Goodreads maniac): Louise Harrison's folks are destroying any chance she has of enjoying 11th grade...
Sixteen-year-old Louise Harrison is insecure about a lot of things: her hair, her fashion sense and her "big-boned" build. At least her social status is secure because her BFF (best friend forever), Sienna Marshall, is a certified member of the mega-watt crowd.
But all hell breaks loose when Louise's brother walks in on their father, Len, and her friend Sienna's mother, Sunny, in a flagrantly compromising position. Soon after, Len and Sunny move in together.
When Sunny decides to return home to her family, everyone lays blame for the entire fiasco on one guy, and Louise calls him dad. Louise instantly loses her BFF and is ostracized by the "it" girls at school. Just when it appears things couldn't get worse, Louise's mom announces she's pregnant-and the baby's father is Louise's math teacher
Wry and melodramatic, smart and spirited, Louise is a typical girl who just wants to fit in. This fun and upbeat novel will captivate readers as they enter Louise's wildly topsy-turvy world.
What I Think: First off, I might need to stop reading books about people younger than myself because I really don't care about 11th grades. I also imagine all the characters as being older than they are. I start making 15 year olds 20 and it really throws everything off when I do that. It's also fairly tiresome.
The novel was just alright. It was cheap so I guess that makes it worth the money and, I have to admit, it was good for a few laughs. I felt so bad for her brother when he walked in on...well...let's just say that kid is going to need therapy.  You know what though? It wasn't funny enough for a reread. 
The blurb is right, it is very melodramatic. I mean, the main character is very melodramatic. I wanted to punch her at times. It's proof that I'm getting old. 
Anyway, the writing was good enough. I mean, it was a pretty good plot and it was, as I mentioned, entertaining. I don't know. I just didn't really stand out. Also, my format was weird and the book was a stupid size and shape which already made me judge it a little bit. I almost want to say that it could have been longer. It's not that I really want it to be longer because I can't get enough. It's that it didn't really seem to build to an ending. It also covered a lot of time for how short it is. I'm starting to get used to novels that are 400 pages of just a weekend so 200 for a year or two seems a bit cramped. 
So: If it's only a $1 for you like it was for me than it's probably okay that you pick it up and consider reading it. $1 is a good price for an hour of entertainment and a few laughs. I'm not sure how much more it would be worth though. I will give it one thing though. This was a very unique concept and I doubt I'll find anything else like it. 

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, I'm in the same boat when it comes to reading YA. I simply don't care about teenage high school drama.

    The title of this book intrigued me and the issues in the synopsis doesn't sound comical to me. It does make me wonder how the author was able to make serious situations into a humorous one.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...