21 February 2014

Review: Half-Blood (Covenant, #1)

Reviewer: Kristen
Author: Jennifer L Armentrout
Pages: 281
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 8 out of 10

Summary (via Goodreads): The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi pure bloods have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals--well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

My Thoughts: So, this one is going to be short because Jennifer Armentrout did this thing where she pulled me into the series and refused to let go, which resulted in me reading the first three back to back. I swear, I almost didn't even come up for food. Total lie.  Another random note: if the word lure ever pops up randomly, it's because damn autocorrect kept doing it's job and correcting pures to lures. 

Anyways, I really, really, really (almost insipidly so) liked this novel. I didn't love it, but I definitely was no where near disliking it.  I did, however, find it a lot like her other series (Lux), and in the probably next review I'll talk about how. I liked the premise of this novel a lot, I don't think that I've ever read anything about gods. Now, I'm not all up to date on my Greek mythology, so I have no idea how accurate the descriptions of the gods where, but I mean, seemed pretty accurate to me. 

Holy bejeezus though, the gods doing the nasty with the mortals created one big mess. Like all good dystopian novels, theres some sort of caste system that's happening. And I'll try to break that down for ya. It goes gods (like Poseidon and Apollo) and their the highest. Obviously. Then we have the pures. They happened when the gods did the nasty with the mortals. Then we have the half-bloods. These cuties were made when the pures did the dirty kind of fun stuff. Basically, mortals are pretty alluring is what I'm gathering. Anyways, the pures are in charge of half-bloods. It's almost like a secret society. I made it confusing, but I promise Jennifer Armentrout does a better job with it. 

Our main character, Alex, is a half-blood. Her mother removed her from the little secret society of pures and half-bloods, and they were on the run in the mortal world, until trouble strikes. Alex is forced to go back to the school, where she focuses all her energy on training to become a Sentinel. (A kick ass daimon fighting half-blood). Of course, there she meets cute sexy perfect forbidden because of their blood guy Aiden (who I don't like but I'm not going to talk about that in this particular review) . He's training her, stuff happens, and all three of these books have suddenly blended together. 

Basically, I really liked Alex. I really disliked Aiden. The story pulled me in and I didn't want to stop reading. I promise, if you pick it up, you won't want to stop reading either! 

Final Thoughts: If you're a JLA fan (and seriously, whose not?) you should definitely check this out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...