14 July 2013

Eve

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Anna Carey
Format: ebook
Pages: 352 (However my ereader reads 196)
Rating: 6 out of 10

Summary (where would I be without you Goodreads): Where do you go when nowhere is safe?

Sixteen years after a deadly virus wiped out most of Earth’s population, the world is a perilous place. Eighteen-year-old Eve has never been beyond the heavily guarded perimeter of her school, where she and two hundred other orphaned girls have been promised a future as the teachers and artists of the New America. But the night before graduation, Eve learns the shocking truth about her school’s real purpose—and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Arden, her former rival from school, and Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust . . . and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

In this epic new series, Anna Carey imagines a future that is both beautiful and terrifying. Readers will revel in Eve’s timeless story of forbidden love and extraordinary adventure

My turn: I thought that this book started very quickly. I suppose that it's a good thing it moved fast, so as to not lose the readers interest but I don't know. It felt like reader whiplash. Thank the heavens it was a simple book. Had it been complicated, it would have lost me for sure. It wasn't just the opening that went quickly. I felt like the whole novel moved kind of fast. I would have liked a nice breather in the action somewhere.

I have a few issues with this novel. Firstly, why couldn't the king just find someone else. Why was he so obsessed with Eve? I hope this is explained in the next novel or the third. I need a better reason than 'just cause'. Second, if they are taught that the opposite sex is bad and love is horrible than why does it come so easily to them. I thought for sure there would be a little conflict there or a little bit of struggle but no. A whole novel could have been written about just these two falling in love never mind what's happening in the world around them. Maybe this goes back to the whiplash thing I was talking about before. Finally, why does bad stuff have to happen because she's not thinking? I know it's realistic but I really hate it because it makes me hate the character. Unless that point is that I hate a character, I try to find ways to bond with them so that I can understand them and their accidentally killing people doesn't help me to do that, go figure. I just wish that hadn't happened. I bet she does too.

I suppose that the premise of this novel makes sense. I mean if everyone died they would need to find a way to get children. This better not come true!

What else? I don't know. I enjoyed it but I thought that it could have been so much more. I expect better from the next book in the series. I hope it redeems this one a little bit. The story was totally fine. I was okay with the story. I was even okay with the characters. The soul of the book seemed to be missing a little bit though and, for me, that's the most important part. Show me that you care about the characters and make me care about them too. It was a struggle.

To End: It's a short, easy, little thought required kind of read. It just doesn't stand out too much among the other books of this kind right now. I'll be finishing the series though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...