15 January 2012

Wicked

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Gregory Maguire
Pages: 406
Format: Paperback
Rating: 8 out of 10

Summary (From Goodreads): When Dorothy triumphed over the Wicked Witch of the West in L. Frank Baum's classic tale, we heard only her side of the story. But what about her arch-nemesis, the mysterious Witch? Where did she come from? How did she become so wicked? And what is the true nature of evil?

Gregory Maguire creates a fantasy world so rich and vivid that we will never look at Oz the same way again. Wicked is about a land where animals talk and strive to be treated like first-class citizens, Munchkinlanders seek the comfort of middle-class stability, and the Tin Man becomes a victim of domestic violence. And then there is the little green-skinned girl named Elphaba, who will grow up to become the infamous Wicked Witch of the West, a smart, prickly, and misunderstood creature who challenges all our preconceived notions about the nature of good and evil.


My Take: Can I just take a moment to say...What an incredible imagination. Not only did the author write a good book but he also flawlessly sewed two stories together. This book fit perfectly with what we already knew from The Wizard of Oz. I've never seen the musical Wicked so I'm sure that if I had I would feel a bit differently about the story, maybe I would like it more though I am aware of some differences. I hate it when they change the story!

I loved the characters, I mean, a green person? There was such a wide array of them in this story. I was really mad to lose one that I liked. Also, I'm a fan of imaginary places. I love falling into a new world. I think that any author that is willing to take the time to make up characters, match story lines, and invent places deserves an A+. Another great thing is that they didn't try to give us the whole Witch's life but we got a piece of every stage of her life. Plus, who doesn't love the irony of having a house fall on you?

Final Thoughts: If you saw the musical you should read the book. You like magic? Read it. If your favourite colour is green, read it. Actually, you know what, just read it.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, Wicked. I liked most of this book, but not all of it. I'm more a fan of the musical. :)

    Thanks for the review!

    Alexandra~
    http://www.wordsoftheworlds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing book. I loved it when I read it. I need to read "Son of a Witch" and the other two sequels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you loved the book, you should see the musical! I've done neither, but my brother (who is my family's aficionado on all things Broadway) has done both and raved for days about the musical!

    Glad you liked the book; great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read the sequels too! Kristen and I think Diane both saw the musical. I want to but just need to find the time. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...