21 November 2011

Speak

Reviewer: Kristen
Author: Laurie Halse Anderson

Pages: 208
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 7 out of 10



Summary (From Goodreads): When Melinda Sordino's friends discover she called the police to quiet a party, they ostracize her, turning her into an outcast -- even among kids she barely knows. But even worse than the harsh conformity of high-school cliques is a secret that you have to hide.


My take: I've heard rave reviews and I have heard horrible reviews about this book. Personally, if it had not been for a school assignment, I probably wouldn't have picked it up. I'm glad, however, that I did. This book is written in simple language, and is easy to follow and understand. This novel follows the story of Melinda - a young teenage girl entering her first year of high school. The story is told through first person, so we are subjected to all of Melinda's thoughts - which are your typical teenage "outcasts" thoughts. A lot of the times I got very frustrated with Melinda's one track mind. However, I think Laurie Halse Anderson presents us with a realistic look into ones mind. Melinda goes through ridicule every teenager dreads and she doesn't know how to cope. She just goes through the motions of school, finding no special 'sanctuary' there or at home. Melinda feels completely unwanted. The ending of the book is brilliantly constructed - my only complaint being that it ended so suddenly. Over all, I enjoyed this read - it was fast and simple. Thought provoking, but an easy start to finish novel. 


Final Thoughts: If you're ever bored, and looking for a decent read this is your 'go to' book. It's short and sweet, the point comes across. I absolutely loved and hated the ending at the exact same time. Melinda's character embodies most teenagers, and it's a great read! 
P.S. I may have been a wee bit biased because this was a school assignment. Albeit, one of the better ones!


Also - sorry for my little hiatus! I promise, I will get back into the swing of things soon! Expect more reviews this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...