13 March 2013

Bossypants

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Tina Fey
Format: Paperback
Pages: 277
Rating: 7.9 out of 10

Summary (from Goodreads): Before Liz Lemon, before "Weekend Update," before "Sarah Palin," Tina Fey was just a young girl with a dream: a recurring stress dream that she was being chased through a local airport by her middle-school gym teacher. She also had a dream that one day she would be a comedian on TV.

She has seen both these dreams come true.

At last, Tina Fey's story can be told. From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon -- from the beginning of this paragraph to this final sentence.

Tina Fey reveals all, and proves what we've all suspected: you're no one until someone calls you bossy.

(Includes Special, Never-Before-Solicited Opinions on Breastfeeding, Princesses, Photoshop, the Electoral Process, and Italian Rum Cake!)


Thoughts: I thought this book was hilarious. If my rating was purely based on comedy than it would have received a 9.9 instead of the 7.9. The reason it got a 7.9 was that this isn't really the kind of book that you would read twice...unless you are her stalker, I don't judge. I thought she had a great way of telling her stories and explaining things to the reader. I found this look at improv, show business, and motherhood fascinating. Sure, saying that sounds lame but having her view on the world was actually interesting for me. It's encouraging to know that famous people have the same problems and worries that normal people do. They are, after all, just normal people!

Tina Fey is simply perfect. She is sharp, funny, and straightforward. She knows just how to explain things and when it's useful to know things. I found myself impressed with her willingness to share stories about herself. I would never have the guts to share myself like she does.

Beware of a bit of swearing; it that bothers you, be warned. There is some other slightly...off material. Be warned about that too. It wasn't too offensive and if it does offend you. You need to pause, take a breath, and remember that it's all in good fun. Stop taking things so personally!!

My Thinking Finale: If you want a good laugh then you should look into this book. The same goes for if you have any interest in Saturday Night Live or 30 Rock. I mean, even if you don't you might still like it. I still found the 30 Rock stuff quite interesting. She has some interesting mothering tips too... Anyway, enjoy the great read. It made me chuckle.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like it's the 1 laugh-a-minute type of book. ;) great review! I like the cover, so weirdly funny.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...