21 October 2011

What Happened to Goodbye

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Sarah Dessen
Pages: 402
Format: Hardcover
My rating: 9 out of 10

Summary (From Goodreads): Since her parents' bitter divorce, McLean and her dad, a restaurant consultant, have been on the move-four towns in two years. Estranged from her mother and her mother's new family, McLean has followed her dad in leaving the unhappy past behind. And each new place gives her a chance to try out a new persona: from cheerleader to drama diva. But now, for the first time, McLean discovers a desire to stay in one place and just be herself, whoever that is. Perhaps Dave, the guy next door, can help her find out.

My Take: Honestly, I loved this book. I'm a huge fan of anything Sarah Dessen. I knew her themes and style. Also, the biggest part of the plot is that she moves around a lot and even though I have never moved in my life, always having gone to the same school and living in the same house, Dessen made it easy for me to follow alone and understand what McLean was going through. Like McLean I also try to change a bit of myself every time I start something new or have the chance to be something different. I really knew what she was going through. The message of the story even managed to speak to someone who had never moved.

The characters were love able and we were given enough background over the course of the story to get into their heads in a way. The setting was clearly described as was McLean's family situation. A plus is that I didn't really see the end coming which doesn't happen all that often. I was ten seconds away from throwing the book across the room, angry at the ending, when it changed in time to end well and make me happy.

Final Thoughts: If you have read other Sarah Dessen books and loved them, read this. I think that this novel might be one of my favourite books that she has written. If you love happy endings, this is for you. Basically, I want to really recommend this book to whomever I can. Loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...