12 February 2016

Review: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Lemony Snicket
Pages: 162
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: 8/10

Summary (Goodreads. Da real MVP):

Dear Reader,

I'm sorry to say that the book you are holding in your hands is extremely unpleasant. It tells an unhappy tale about three very unlucky children. Even though they are charming and clever, the Baudelaire siblings lead lives filled with misery and woe. From the very first page of this book when the children are at the beach and receive terrible news, continuing on through the entire story, disaster lurks at their heels. One might say they are magnets for misfortune.

In this short book alone, the three youngsters encounter a greedy and repulsive villain, itchy clothing, a disastrous fire, a plot to steal their fortune, and cold porridge for breakfast.

It is my sad duty to write down these unpleasant tales, but there is nothing stopping you from putting this book down at once and reading something happy, if you prefer that sort of thing.

With all due respect,

Lemony Snicket

My Thoughts:

Rereading this series while I eagerly await the Netflix show!

I remember absolutely loving these books as a kid, and these books definitely played a vital role in igniting my love of reading. Having read so many more books since my first time reading this one, it's clear that this is a middle grade novel and not the best piece of literary fiction I've ever come across. But the nostalgia, and honestly the story itself, still had me enjoying every page.

The writing was decent, if I must be honest. I got kind of annoyed with the constant defining of words, but I know, as a middle grade novel, it helps broaden the vocabulary, so while it was kind of redundant to see it as a 21 year old, I remember 12 year old me really appreciating it. Also, there were a lot of small, sarcastic comments throughout the narrative that I caught on to this time around and I actually quite liked.

A lot of what happened in the book I pictured perfectly in my head from the movie, therefore Count Olaf, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny were all, in my head, the actors that played in the 2004 depiction of the books, and that was fine with me since I thought Jim Carrey did great with it and I loved Liam Aiken since his outstanding role as Owen in "Good Boy" (I'm not going to clarify whether that was sarcasm or not). This book was extremely fast paced, and since I watched the movie over 50 times, it was nice to see how the book to movie adaptation stayed true to Lemony Snicket's depiction and what small details they changed for cinematic purposes. All in all, this was not the best book ever, but I still enjoyed it genuinely for its content, and even more so for the nostalgic element. I highly recommend this series for a book lover of any age. Guarantee you will enjoy it nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...