5 January 2016

Review: Winter by Marissa Meyer

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Marissa Meyer
Pages: 826
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: 8.75/10

Summary (Goodreads. Da real MVP):

Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.

Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.

Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?

My Thoughts:

"Yeah, but broken isn't the same as unfixable

I apologize now, this review is not going to be spoiler free, as I can’t discuss this book in any reasonable semblance without talking about the actual happenings of it. The only non-spoilery thing I can say were it ended wonderfully and it really was a roller coaster. It’s also going to be quite lengthy.

This book was such a satisfying conclusion for the series. All questions were answered, there were happily ever afters, and OTPs were sailed! I’m going to admit, I did have some problems with it in terms of the pacing and characters, but that is to be expected in a 826 page book.

I need to start with Thorne. Like I have to there’s no going around it. I love Thorne, and my love for him exploded in this book! I honestly wish we could have gotten more Cress & Thorne moments than what we did, but still. He is Captain Carswell Thorne, as imaginably charming, sarcastic, witty, stammering, blubbering idiot I have fallen hard for since Scarlet. He kicked major butt and was such an amazing asset to the team/crew and the story as a whole. The scenes centring around him were my favourite. Again, he proved to be the comic relief and found the humour in every single situation, even when he was literally about to die, he was amusing, through his words or facial expressions. He was comedic but also so brave and did anything he could to help his friends and Cress, anything he could do he did relentlessly and without a second thought. Let me just look at a few of my favourite moments of his (hence, spoilers):

“Did you see any rice in there? Maybe we could fill Cinder’s head with it…You know to…absorb the moisture, or something

“Scarlet and i are going to start a missing-fingers club. We might let Cinder be an honorary member. Plus, I’m thinking of getting some cyborg replacements. You know how Cinder’s hand does all sorts of tricks? I thought it might be nice to always have a toothpick handy. Or maybe a comb

And finally, probably my favourite…

“This assignment will take us all over the Republic. Not that we’ll be doing much sightseeing, but there’ll be…um. Forests. And mountains. And all sorts of things. And when we’re done, if there’s anything you want to go back to, we could do that. And stay for a while. Or I could take you…anywhere. Anywhere you want to see.” That one literally brought me to tears.

And obviously, Cress. There was so much development with her character in this book from start to finish, and her bravery trumped everyone’s, because it came from a place that was rooted with fear. She wasn’t just heroic for Thorne, but also for her friends and the cause she was fighting for and I was so proud of her when she pretty much sacrificed herself and demonstrated strength and power despite being totally out of her comfort zone.

AND FINALLY! FINALLY THRESS … oh my god I don’t like that ship name it reminds me of Thresh from The Hunger Games… Crorne? Oh my god that’s worse. Okay you know how I mean. CRESS AND THORNE CRESS AND THORNE!!!! The chapter at the end where they finally got together, I WAS GIDDY I WAS HAPPY EVERYTHING ELSE COULD GO TO HELL FOR ALL I CARED. that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but they’re both so different but the same at the same time I knew it was going to happen but it was SOLIDIFIED and I REJOICE.

Now, trying to move on from my two favourite characters in this damn series, let’s move on to my next favourite character, Winter. I grew to absolutely love her in this book. I loved reading about her “craziness” and her psychological state, and this may sound bad but her final episode of psychoticness was one of my favourite scenes. It was so raw and emotional and I got very emotional reading from her point of view and the way everything cost her. It literally costed her her sanity, and it added such depth to the story and showed not only the way the Lunar society was run, but how good and strong of a person Winter is to withstand using her glamour and manipulation, even though it was driving her mad. I was so proud of her throughout the entire book and I rooted for her the entire way through.

Jacin, I easily could have taken or left. I liked him and what he did for Winter and their relationship, but I thought he was rather dry. While the complexity in his character was evident, I didn’t see his character individually as anything special other than to help Winter.

I’m sorry, I’m going to take this opportunity to make a negative turn. Cinder inconsistently annoyed me. This is going to get spoilery. What first triggered my anger toward her was when they left Cress for dead. They let Cress simply sacrifice her life for their cause and Cinder didn’t think twice about going back and even TRYING to rescue her. While I can understand her motives and logic won out, she turned without looking back. And yes, she did mention how she wished Cress was there, but she did not long for her like Thorne did, but for her skill. She would say “If Cress was here, she could have done this faster”. It just endlessly pissed me off that they left Cress for dead and only thought of her when it would have been convenient for her to be there for her technological mastermind. AND THEN, she did so many things without even thinking of the consequences? Like she stepped out in the midst of a crowd and tried to be the voice of reason, as if Levana wasn’t going to find her there? Like really? By the end I was happy for her and the conclusion, but Cinder just irked me throughout the book. She did have some redeeming moments, but overall things like that stuck with me and bugged me.

Now let’s discuss Scarlet and Wolf. What a whirlwind they have been through. Scarlet is so tough and strong and stubborn and blatantly tells it like it is and I love her for that. I loved her defiance with the wolf soldiers, I loved her sacrificing and unwillingness to bow down to anyone. She was such a strong sidekick/leader in the cause and she made more of a “leader” impression on me than Cinder. Wolf. Poor, poor Wolf. I kind of expected more from him after he was captured and changed into more of a “monster”, and I wish his predatory instincts would have kicked in a bit more to show how the genetic changes changed him, but in the end I’m actually glad his humanity and alpha-mate relationship thing with Scarlet won out.

Another thing that I didn’t particularly like in this story was the pacing. Some things were dragged out and many happenings in the story could have been cut out completely and it wouldn’t have made any difference to the plot or revolution at all. I just feel like things were thrown in randomly to prolong the story or add unnecessary details that didn’t contribute to anything in the end -- AH I REMEMBERED ONE -- when Kai randomly decided he was going to bomb the dome and sacrifice himself to make sure Levana was dead? Like okay I understand the sentiment and his self-righteousness as his rule and yadda yadda, but that didn't even end up happening? What was the point in bringing that thought or idea up at all if it wasn't going to end that way? I don't know I just thought it was extra information or thought processes that weren't well thought out and had no relation to the actual unfolding of the story's events.

ANOTHER THING! -- sorry I keep remembering stuff -- there was a part, Chapter 36, to be exact -- where I kept thinking that Cinder's speech and movement and the way the revolution unfolded reminded me of a weak reenactment of The Hunger Games? I felt that it lacked originality, and it may be because The Hunger Games have been burned into my brain, curtesy of my friend Kristen who is an advocate for the books. It just seemed very Katniss-esque to me, but less impactful and more of a letdown in terms of fighting against the Queen/President/Ruler/Dictator/Whatever.

I do have some more insignificant little things that bothered me about the book but honestly my brain is all muddled I can’t distinctly remember what those things are. Which is kind of bad on my part as a reviewer but my New Year’s resolution for book reviewing is to make notes while reading the book so I can remember and write better reviews lol

Final Thoughts: While some parts of the book did irk me, I felt that this conclusion was gripping and very well done. It satisfied everything it needed to and all questions were answered. All the ships sailed and I’m kind of hoping Marissa Meyer will write another novella giving us a glimpse of Cinder’s reign on Luna, Cress and Thorne travelling forests and mountains, Scarlet and Wolf eating tomatoes on the farm, and Winter and Jacin’s tackling the chip that stops hallucinations/glamour/the whole thing that chip was supposed to do. Anyways, fantastic, loved it, so action packed and had me reeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...