1 January 2016

Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Marissa Meyer
Pages: 452
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: 8/10

Summary (Goodreads. Da real MVP):

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.

My Thoughts:

I’ve seen many mixed reviews about how this book fell flat for so many people. While I can understand how some would feel like this, I personally loved it. However, I did love Cinder just a bit more. 

We get introduced to so many characters that bring a lot of dynamic and life into the story. I also find it so interesting how both books have been interwoven, creating connections between the characters in so many distinct ways (if you read Scarlet you know exactly what I mean)

We need to talk about Thorne. Can we talk about Thorne? He was the absolute highlight of this story, for me anyway but I’m sure for many others too. I’m going to be completely honest, our very very VERY initial introduction of Thorne, I wasn’t sure what to expect from him. But believe me, incredibly soon after I realized how much I was going to come to LOVE him! He is a sarcastic, witty GENIUS and he brought so much life and humour and animation to the story of heroic battles and political intrigue. He was the comedic relief the first novel was missing, even though I did like that one more. I also love his relationship with Cinder and how they developed into such a kickass team. Their love-hate relationship is hilariously relatable, being friends with someone you cannot stand, yet needing them all the same. It was so great, honestly.

The introduction of Scarlet was interesting, both positively and negatively. I enjoyed her, yet she bugged me at times. Like listen lady it's your fault you're stubborn and don't listen to reason. Nevertheless, I admire her courage and determination to save someone so special to her (wow look at the alliteration). Speaking of Wolf, his complex nature was gripping and his protective manner toward Scarlet was admirable, yet creepy and weird at times. I wasn’t sure, and still am not sure, what to make of his little relationship with Scarlet; while the romance wasn’t as overpowering as i’ve seen in other fantasy/sci-fi/non-romance books, it just seemed to instalovey. I mean, it's been to weeks, kids.

I did think his character was interesting though. He was the mysterious, shy stranger with a past I was very intrigued in discovering.

Final Thoughts: The unfolding of Cinder and her escapades just keep getting wilder and wilder and I don’t want to ruin too much more of the happenings of this book beyond this point. I will say, though, that for me Thorne and Iko are my favourite characters thus far. They both compliment the story’s intensity so well with their nonchalance and comedic relief and camaraderie they show our main character.  All in all I enjoyed this book immensely and I'm so ready to tackle the rest of this series

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...