4 January 2016

Review: Cress by Marissa Meyer

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Marissa Meyer
Pages: 550
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: 10/10

Summary (Goodreads. Da real MVP):

In this third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl imprisoned on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has

My Thoughts:

So far, the absolute best in the series, hands down! The next book will have to be pretty impeccable to beat this instalment 

Cress is a retelling of Rapunzel, and wow. Just wow. This book honestly blew me away. Absolutely everything about it was on point. Cress was an amazing addition to this team, so different from both Cinder and Scarlet, and I see a new OTP on the horizon… Oh who am I kidding I have gone down with this ship.

Okay, okay, back to the basics. The parallels between the original Rapunzel story and this were actually amazing and one of the things I appreciated the most out of the story. I won’t say which parallels in particular for spoilery sake, but as a fan of literature, I appreciate the authenticity woven in the sci-fi twist (would we still classify this genre as sci-fi? agh for arguments sake, we will).

Okay, Cress. I loved her character, honestly so much more than Cinder or Scarlet. She was so cute and all she wanted to do was blend into the background because she was so shy and not used to socializing and it was so obvious how uncomfortable big crowds made her and I don't know why but I loved that about her. It really exemplified how seven years of isolation and lack of social interactions affected her. Even so, her character was so fitting into the story. Scarlet and Cinder are such tough, kick ass characters and having Cress being literally that damsel in distress she saw herself as was refreshing. She kicked ass in the background by doing her own inconspicuous hacking and it was still AWESOME AS HELL MAN.

We have to talk about Thorne again. He still remains to be my favourite character in this series, Cress close behind! Then Iko cause let's be real Iko is just the best. But anyways (I'm about to rant and this may be considered spoilery so you may wanna jump down to the next paragraph sorry) I loved the relationship that was built between Cress and Thorne and how they needed each other to survive and they literally couldn't have done it without each other and tHEY WERE SO CUTE! And the way Cress romanticized Thorne as being this hero that did bad things for a good reason and him just downright rejecting all these things she thought about him but it didn't even matter because he was still her hero! Like Thorne protected Cress and it was like he felt such a strong connection to her and it was so easy for them and Thorne was always making sure Cress was okay and there for her and mAN THIS SHIP.

Okay. CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT PLEASE? All through Scarlet, Cinder was always second guessing her actions and acting on impulse and making decisions before thinking them through, which was frustrating for me because I'm like MAN GET IT TOGETHER USE YOUR BRAIN LADY. but like i mean i totally get it too. HELLA SPOILER JUMP DOWN I'M SORRY I CAN'T TALK ABOUT THIS WITHOUT SPOILING I would be too if i found out i was the freaking lost princess of an entire planet and I was the only one who could stop the wrath of a murderous ruler. But all that aside, cINDER KICKED ASS. SHE WAS ALL OVER THE PLACE DOING SHIT AND BEATING PEOPLE UP AND SHE WAS JUST LIKE "YEAH IT'S FOR THE GREATER GOOD GUYS". Now she's literally all like, "let's go let's kill the queen yeah go team let's go!" like she is all in now. During Cinder, she totally was just this mechanic that blended into the background, and now she's standing up and out and doing what she knows is right, no matter what other people are saying and advising and i LOVE THAT.

Okay, this was my problem with this book. I had two problems k. This whole thing is a spoiler so if u have read the book and wanna read this it's hear. If you haven't I highly recommend jumping down. Again, sorry.
Number one, Kai. For God's sake, Kai. Firstly, he did not make the connection that Cinder was Princess Selene, which was infuriating. Even when she was saying "oh she's a cyborg..." he was still like "....waahhhhh" KAI LIKE R U KIDDING ME? And when he couldn't think for himself?! Like he knew Cinder was doing things for the right reasons, that she wasn't evil and what everyone was saying about her wasn't right. BUT NO. rather than come up with his own conclusions about Cinder and what he knew about her, he allowed EVERYONE to get into his freaking head and literally told him what he thought. He couldn't come up with a solid opinion of Cinder that was his own, either the Queen or Torin or someone always made up his mind for him, and he just let it happen and man that frustrated me. like seriously get it together Kai you're not an idiot.
Also, Wolf. The separation of Wolf and Scarlet. Okay, I had a problem with this, Wolf was virtually comatose emotionally. It was like his entire being shut down because Scarlet was gone, and I just wanted to shake him and be like MOPING ISN'T GONNA DO YOU OR HER ANY GOOD SO WHY DON'T YOU DO SOMETHING MAN. like i understood his concern about Scarlet being stuck on Luna and how torturous it could be (which we surely got a glimpse of), but his lack of motivation for ANYTHING was so frustrating it made me like him less as a character. And I loved him in Scarlet.


We also get a glimpse of Winter at the novel’s conclusion and MY OH MY ARE WE IN FOR AN ABSOLUTE TREAT.

Final Thoughts: Anyway, I know I missed a shit ton of important stuff like Sybil and Levana and the romance of Cinder and Kai and a whole bunch of other stuff I'll probably remember while laying in bed at 3 am, but that's the major stuff I needed to rant about. anyway..

CRESS WAS A GREAT BOOK I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS ENTIRE SERIES TBH BUT THIS WAS THE BEST ONE SO FAR A+ 5/5 STARS ABSOLUTELY AMAZEBALLS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...