30 December 2015

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Marissa Meyer
Pages: 390
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: 9/10

Summary (Goodreads. Da real MVP):
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

My Thoughts:

I hella - HELLA - enjoyed this book. Much more than I anticipated I would.

I never expected a “sci-fi” twist on the fairytale I am well familiar with would turn out to be this fantastically EPIC?! Cinder is, as stated in the synopsis, a cyborg, subjected to cruelty and unfair injustices by society and her mother/stepsister. This book was so gripping, and I kept getting really excited when I found parallels between this book and the Cinderella stories (the Hans Christian Andersen version, the Grimm version, and the Disney), and this is just another spin on a classic. A better spin, in my modern opinion. And that ending! It had me absolutely REELING. I cannot except it. There has to be more. NEEDS to be more.

Cinder was totally badass, not gonna lie. She started off as timid and fearful, as being such a ridiculed person in her city as well as her home, and I couldn’t help but feel pity for her. It was clear she worked hard and the way she was being treated honestly really pissed me off. You know those moments where you feel for the protagonist so much you want to jump into the book world and scream and swear at the other characters and you have this instinctive need to protect the protagonist?!?! Yeah that’s how I felt. bUT LET ME TELL YOU CINDER DID NOT NEED PROTECTING NO SIREE SHE GOT THIS HANDLED SO FAST WOO

Also Kai. Ugh, sweet, naive little Kaito. As the prince, Kai is obviously the desire of all the girls in the land. Even cyborgs. And believe me I pictured him as a less buff and more pure and innocent Taylor Lautner, and believe me I was swooning all the way home.

Toward the end of the novel, my eyes were racing through the page, and honestly I had to keep going back - which pissed me off because my inability to be PATIENT - because I would be so caught up in the story and skip full lines because I had to know what on Luna was going to happen next?! (GET IT OMG IM SO FUNNY) And the ending did not disappoint! Honestly the plot twist at the end was sort of predictable but I mean IT WAS STILL GREAT AND MUCH NEEDED FOR THE COURSE OF THE STORY.

Final Thoughts: this book is great and wonderful and an amazing initial novel for a series with such potential and promise! the premise is so unique and i highly HIGHLY recommend it for EVERYONE. go read it now ok bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...