28 December 2015

Review: Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Morgan Matson
Pages: 368
Format: eBook
My Rating: 8/10

Summary (Goodreads. Da real MVP):

Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn't seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she's coming to terms with her father's death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road -- diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards--this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

My Thoughts:

OH MY GOD THIS BOOK WAS FANTASTIC!
Okay, holy shit. I don't even know where to begin.
This book is probably one of my new favourite books. I caught myself laughing and I caught myself in tears, and even though it was predictable, I would have probably been pissed if it ended any other way.

Amy’s character kind of bugged me at the beginning of the book, but I understand that her character’s attitudes were intentional and true. That being said, DAT CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT DOE. I felt like such a proud mother, seeing and watching her grow and learn and take risks and do things she was afraid and unwilling to do at first. So happy much inspiration.

Roger Sullivan. You mean perfect, dreamy, sweet, totally unrealistic and unattainable macho man? Yes, him.
No seriously, Roger is the typical nice guy, the typical guy every girl has a crush on at some point in their high school career (believe me there was one of those guys in my high school and i KNOW FOR A FACT Kristen knows who I mean) ROGER. He had me absolutely swooning and the way he acted toward Amy from beginning to end, as it progressed, warmed my cold, brittle heart.

I also thought Amy’s sentimentality and flashbacks with her dad were touching and an essential part to the story and the fEELS. My heart burst whenever she talked about him. She talked about him with such fondness and admiration and it was the kind of father-daughter relationship every father and daughter should have.

This book literally had everything and more, and yes this is pertaining to the receipts and playlists. I felt, while reading this book, that it was passively interactive and it enhanced the story in such subtle but enjoyable ways. Just seeing the receipts and post cards and just knowing the songs they listened to while on the road made it feel like I was a fly on the wall, watching this journey and their relationship unfold. It was truly beautiful. 

Final Thoughts: this was a great book it had me squealing and spasming all the way to the end. MORGAN MATSON I WOULD NOT BE OPPOSED TO THERE BEING A SEQUEL TO THIS BOOK THAT WOULD BE LOVELY PLS AND THANK U BUT PLS DON'T DISAPPOINT ME AND ADD LIKE A LOVE TRIANGLE AND HAVE THEM NOT END UP TOGETHER OK THANKS
ok I'm done I'm sorry 5/5 stars 100% i recommend to everyone pls thank u goodnite

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...