20 November 2015

Review: Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Mary E. Pearson
Pages: 470
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 7/10

Summary (Goodreads. Da real MVP):

Held captive in the barbarian kingdom of Venda, Lia and Rafe have little chance of escape. Desperate to save Lia's life, her erstwhile assassin, Kaden, has told the Vendan Komizar that she has the gift, and the Komizar's interest in Lia is greater than anyone could have foreseen.

Meanwhile, nothing is straightforward: There's Rafe, who lied to Lia but has sacrificed his freedom to protect her; Kaden, who meant to assassinate her but has now saved her life; and the Vendans, whom Lia always believed to be savages. Now that she lives among them, however, she realizes that may be far from the truth. Wrestling with her upbringing, her gift, and her sense of self, Lia must make powerful choices that will affect her country... and her own destiny.
 

My Thoughts:

**THERE IS A SPOILER IN HERE BUT I WARN YOU ABOUT IT DO NOT FEAR**

Damn! That ending! That cliffhanger!!!

This book as a great sequel, though I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first. That may have been due to the fact that i could not read the thing in it's entirety without the measly distractions of school work and literature I had to read. Even so, I found the beginning of the book to be quite dull, and nothing really happened. It seemed to be a lot of hanging around and waiting for something critical to occur, and the only real exciting parts were at the end. The second half of the book I really enjoyed. The writing was beautiful, though the world building was still confusing for me. I understand more about it after reading this book, but there are still a few aspects about it that are lost to me (I will not reveal what they are because spoilers).

I love Lia as a character. I admired her sarcasm, defiance, and power. It's clear she has power that she has yet to unleash, and I cannot wait to see how she unfurls that power in her. Her selflessness was really amazing, and though she's clearly under extremely hard times, she does all that she can for other people, and I really love that about her.

We were also introduced to amazing new characters in this book like Aster (WHOM I ADORED), Calantha (WHOM I ALSO CAME TO ADORE), and the Komizar, which was not so amazing and kind of an asshole but I mean I expected that much.

Rafe was great. I loved his character just as I did in the first one, but I was really hoping we would get more of him, and tbh I was quite upset that we didn't. There's not much else to say about him except for the ending scene killed me and he killed me and I love him.

We did get quite a bit of Kaden, though, more than I was expecting. I enjoyed learning the heartbreaking truth about his past and the things he had to endure as a child, and it was heartbreaking. Though it was hard to be too overwhelmed with pity for him as I was so blinded by my frustration and annoyance with him. He was such a baby, I could not handle it. First of all, I suppose I can understand his loyalty to Venda and to the Komizar, and that's all fine and dandy, but his actions completely contradict what he says, and that bothered me so much. He's loyal to Venda, keeping Lia prisoner, and then falls in love with her, wants her to be happy, and wants to keep her safe. He even goes as far to justify his actions by saying "I was angry. I was hurt." Give me a break.

SPOILER!!!!!
...
and then all of a sudden at the end when the Komizar is literally DYING IN FRONT OF HIM THE KOMIZAR GOES "WE'RE BROTHERS" AND KADEN GOES "NOT ANYMORE" .... EXCUSE ME WHERE DID THIS TURN IN CHARACTER COME FROM? LITERALLY OUT OF NOWHERE THAT'S WHERE I WAS SO CONFUSED?! THEN HE FOUGHT FOR LIA'S SURVIVAL WHICH WAS GREAT BUT THE ENTIRE BOOK WAS ABOUT HER BETRAYING KADEN IN HER FLEEING PLAN WITH RAFE AND THEN HE FINDS OUT AND THIS WHOLE TIME HE CAME OFF THAT HE WOULD DO EVERYTHING IN HIS POWER TO KEEP HER FROM LEAVING AND THEN HE HELPS HER LEAVE AND SHIT. LIKE I GET HE'S IN LOVE WITH HER BUT?????? WHAT???????? I???????????
....
....
...
....
....
END SPOILER

Don't get me wrong, I like Kaden. I think his character is wildly complex and we get some amazing insight into his past and who he is, but that part, the spoilery part, confused me. DO NOT LOOK AT THE SPOILERY PART IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK

It also really insanely pissed me off when EVERYONE (ahem Komizar ahem) was ordering Lia around, telling her what to do, how to act, what to say, how to dress. The feminist in me wanted to kill them all. But I loved how Lia took control and established her own power in that patriarchal system they had there, and I was very proud of her in the way she handled things (aka Malich & the card game that part was great)

Final Thoughts:
All in all, this was a good sequel, despite the problems I had with it, and I highly recommend reading the sequel if you've read and enjoyed The Kiss of Deception. While reading these books, I couldn't help but realize their titles truly emanate what is happening in the books. The last one was all about deception, and this one was filled with betrayal. So many secrets, so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...