23 October 2015

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Pages: 338
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 8/10

Summary (Goodreads. Da real MVP):

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior

My Thoughts:
I thought Shatter Me was a really good introductory book for a really good series. I love Tahereh Mafi's writing, and I completely love the style in which it was written. It was so beautiful and unique that you can’t not appreciate it. The way it was completely non-conventional and completely scattered and incoherent deeply reflected the depths of insanity Juliette was feeling. I also loved the little crossed out parts she added. It gave us a bit of Juliette's character that she tried but could not hide from us and herself. I just loved how in the first few chapters we got a stream of consciousness and how much it showed her psychological instability. Reading about psychological thrillers (not saying this is a thriller at all but you get the gist) hardcore intrigues me and I’ve really been wanting to read more (IF YOU HAVE SUGGESTIONS LEAVE THEM DOWN BELOW PLS). I also loved the insane character development by the end of the book, and she sums it up perfectly:
"When I made the switch from hating myself to accepting myself. When it became okay for me to choose my own life." I loved it.

I also really liked Adam and James and their whole dynamic and relationship with each other. I loved James as a character and his energy radiates and impacts people around him. Literally everyone in the book loves him, including me.
I don't know how I feel about Warner. I know from people who have read the trilogy already, that he gets better and you are supposed to end up loving him. I don't know. I don't really see him as “evil”, though. I think he's just wildly misunderstood, and he's trying to solve a problem in the only way he knows how. I think he's trying to do his best and he doesn't really want to cause any harm.

The only reason I didn't give it a 5/5 stars is because I felt as though the world we're introduced to hasn't been explained enough. I understand the world has, in the most basic of terms, gone to shit, and I don't understand why or what happened or the history of it all. Maybe it was in the book and I just missed it, but either way it felt underdeveloped.

Final Thoughts:
This book is so interesting and unique and I’ve heard absolutely incredible things and I need to go on with it like yesterday. Seriously yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. I would definitely say check out the novellas. They give you a little more into Warner and Adam from their perspective. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...