2 October 2015

Review: Legend by Marie Lu

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Marie Lu
Pages: 305
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: 8/10

Summary (Goodreads. Da real MVP):

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.
 

My Thoughts:

WOW THIS WAS SO GOOD. I powered through and read it in one day because I was instantly hooked! I knew so many people loved this book/trilogy and I can understand why. It has all the elements of a typical dystopia but it's unique as well. The characters are engaging and I've become so connected to all of them. Marie Lu's writing was impeccable and completely enthralling from beginning to end. I will say I think the world was a bit underdeveloped. I understand that something happened that made the United States as we know it today turn into the Republic and the Colonies and whatever else is going on, and I still don't completely understand what happened and the geographical details of this world, so hopefully that becomes more developed in the next instalment.

As for the plot, I thought the entire concept was so interesting and at first it was difficult for me to distinguish who was the good and bad guy. From the get go, though (lol rhymes), I loved Day. He's so badass and can be sarcastic and snarky but he has a sensitive and caring side and he rebels in his own way that got a name for himself as well as being extremely stealthy and I just loved his character so much. June kinda bugged me during the first half of the novel, she was just so naive and easily manipulated and she couldn't see what was going on right in front of her face. Despite that, she was still badass and as she uncovered secrets of the past, she character just shifted dramatically. It was like something just clicked in her. Therefore, she did redeem herself. I liked the way she talked about Metias and how much he was a part of her life and how much they relied on each other, so I loved the flashbacks. Same with Day and his family. It was so precious the way he fought and did everything he could for them.
Also, I wasn't completely turned off by the romance in here, either. I mean obviously I predicted what would happen before starting the book, but June and Day's connection is pure and THAT KISS IN THE ALLEY I WAS LIKE WOAH U GO GIRL GET IT.
Final Thoughts:
This book is addicting and I absolutely loved it. Must read dystopian and I can't wait to start Prodigy tomorrow

4 comments:

  1. I don't like dystopia that much and because of that I didn't enjoy this series as much as others - although I also can't deny that it's incredibly well written! I'm so glad you liked it though great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this entire series. I became emotionally attached to the main characters and that doesn't happen very often. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series!! It's stays great, too, over all three books.

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been meaning to read this series forever but have yet to get around to it. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...