30 October 2015

Review: Defiance by C.J. Redwine

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: C.J. Redwine
Pages: 403
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 8.5/10

Summary (Goodreads. Da real MVP):

Defiance by C. J. Redwine is rich postapocalyptic YA fantasy perfect for fans of Graceling and Tamora Pierce.

While the other girls in the walled city-state of Baalboden learn to sew and dance, Rachel Adams learns to track and hunt. While they bend like reeds to the will of their male Protectors, she uses hers for sparring practice.

When Rachel's father fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the city's brutal Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector: her father's apprentice, Logan—the boy she declared her love to and who turned her down two years before. Left with nothing but fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself.

As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.

My Thoughts:
Okay, I have heard absolutely nothing about this book before picking it up. And that was two years ago. And I still have not heard any talk about it. But boy, does there deserve to be talk around it. This series was unlike anything I’ve ever read before. I hella loved this book, and it’s definitely one everyone should at least try out. I know that it might not be for everyone, but it has a medieval, but also futuristic feel to it? I don’t even know. Just the technology in this book is much more advanced, the creatures, the societies, everything. It’s all so intriguing. There’s a kick ass female lead, a swoon worthy boy, and literally high ups and deep plummets that had my heart racing. Wow just thinking about it now, I forgot how much happened and how much I loved it.
Seriously I found this book at Shoppers Drug Mart and was like, "hey, this has a cool cover. I'm gonna read it!"
And boy, I am proud of myself for that instinctive decision.
The ship I ship in this book is so great, they go from hating each other to being in love and it’s so great and it makes my heart swell. Rachel is a hardass, stubborn, and doesn’t bow to any whim. She follows her gut and doesn’t let anything tell her different, and I appreciate that aspect about her. The Commander in this book is one I hardcore wanted to die at the end, and the creature, the CREATURE U KNOW THE ONE literally terrified me. Like I was pretty sure it was going to come eat me.
I was completely immersed in this world and it felt so real, I have it envisioned perfectly in my mind.

Final Thoughts: This book was so much more than I thought it was going to be. The literal heartbreak and happiness and feels that I was overcome with and not expecting from this random book I thought looked cool was overpowering and I NEED TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I have this book on my TBR for a long long time and I haven't been able to read it! I should probably start reading it soon! It sounds so good! Great review Kayla!

    P.S I have a Giveaway on my blog.. I hope you can give it sometime to join! :)

    Donita @ My Random Book Thoughts

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...