1 September 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Characters You Just Didn't Click With


Hello and welcome to another episode of Top Ten Tuesday, brought to us by TheBrokeAndTheBookish! This week we are discussing the top ten characters you just didn't click with, you know, those characters where you were either like "You aight but I probably wouldn't save you from a fire breathing dragon", or "I am literally going to feed you to the fire breathing dragon". I love dragons. Let's begin shall we! FEATURING GIFS WOW

1. Eleanor of Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
Yes, if you've seen my review of this book, you would know I was seriously disappointed with this book. While I'm not that heartless to not feel sympathy or pity for Eleanor and the position she was in family-wise, I thought her character was dry, annoying, and ungrateful. While I appreciated how she was not the typically thin, "beautiful" female figure often found in YA, and I liked how she was different. But the thing easily became that she was TOO different. Her character was written with the clear intent of desperately wanting to be so different I was cringing. And I'm not saying everyone should aspire to be the same as everyone else and follow the norms. I think being different is rad af. But it was so forced I couldn't take her seriously.



2. Magnus of Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes
This guy, man. This guy. Alright. I've only read the first book in this series, and honestly I was pretty harsh in my review here, but all the characters just didn't work for me. Most of all, Magnus really irked me. First of all, he fell in love with his sister, which I know has been a popular trope in YA and I don't understand it! I know it's for tension and plot twists but it's one I cannot stand. Secondly, he was a whiny baby who would complain when he didn't get what he wanted. It's like he wasn't thinking clearly when he did the things he did, and I was just so annoyed with his character throughout the book.


3. Laurel of Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira
Laurel annoyed the shit out of me, and may be one of the main reasons why I hated this book so much. This book seemed like a crappy retelling of Perks of Being a Wallflower, and while I seriously enjoyed that book and Charlie, Laurel was like a Charlie wannabe, this story was like a parody of the book, and I honestly wouldn't waste your time with this book. While it did have some redeeming qualities, like examples of LGBTQ+, but I could have without this book. But the cover was pretty so I mean...



4. Shahrzad of The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Adieh
This is one of the less dramatic cases. I wasn't overly disappointed with Sharzhad's character, but parts of her character did annoy me. At times, I couldn't look past her arrogance her pride, and her manipulation of Khalid. Many times she seemed a bit too hypocritical to me, and while I agree with the majority of people who say Sharzhad is a force to be reckon with as well as being a good, strong female lead, her stubbornness shadowed her good qualities. By the end of the book, I could see the Sharzhad that everyone loves, so I really hope she does redeem herself for my personal opinion in the following book(s).

5. Jacin of Cress by Marissa Meyer
I can't say much about Jacin's role in the book, since he is only a side character in this one and I know he becomes a more prominent character in the final book of this series, Winter. But I will say that in this book, he was pushy, arrogant, and intrusive. It just seemed that he got in the way and I just needed him to go and stay in the background. I know he has a better role in Winter and with Winter, I just want to see what it is. Like now. Honestly I just need Winter now.


6. Ben of The Infinite Wave by Rick Yancey
More of my thoughts on this book will be posted on Friday's review of The Infinite Wave, so I don't want to say too much, but Ben's character got insufferable in the second instalment of this trilogy. While I loved him in the first book, he just got ridiculous. That's all I'm going to say for now. For more on this, stay turned for Friday's review (selfless promo)!


7. Tiny Cooper of Will Grayon, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
I could not give you a solidified reason as to why I didn't like Tiny Cooper. It may have had to do with his stereotypical flamboyancy, and it was a little too "in your face". That's really the only thing I could say to describe Tiny Cooper's character. He's the stereotypical "gay best friend" and I was just annoyed with it. Tiny and I just didn't click.


8. Alaska of Looking for Alaska by John Green
Alaska annoyed me. I find that a lot of John Green's female characters are eccentric, weird, "out there", but also popular and loved by the male protagonist. Alaska is the mould that John Green uses to write female characters, and it annoyed me. Her demise (I won't say what to avoid spoilers) is something that a) I saw coming, and b) is 100% her fault.


9. Holden of The Catcher in the Rye
Holden was boring. That's all.


10. Wren of Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Wren annoyed me. Her distance from her sister that she forced upon herself hurt not only her sister, but herself, in the long run. I was bothered by how much she tried to push away. I understand this aspect may have been for Cath's development, but I feel like she didn't have to be so spoiled, and cold toward her sister. I don't know, she just kinda irked me.


And there we go, ten characters I could think of that I just didn't click with while reading about them. What do you think? Have you read these books and agree with my opinions, or do you really love these characters? Tell us below, and don't forget to leave us your own Top Ten Tuesday post :)

And with that, I bid you adieu,
Kayla @ one-chapter-ahead

2 comments:

  1. Magnus was a pretty tough character to like. But I do find myself liking him in the most recent books! But if everyone's annoying you, I'm not sure if you'll grow to them or them to you! Other than Ben and Ron, I don't know these characters. Well, Holden, but that was a school read that I loathed so it doesn't even come to mind anymore! LOL!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES to Laurel! Glad I wasn't the only one that wasn't a fan of hers. I really thought that everyone would hate me for adding her to my list! Great list!

    Here's My Top 10

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...