11 September 2015

Follow Friday

 Undiscovered talent - tell us about a book you loved  but no one else seems to have heard of. It can be old or new, any genre. Let's spread the love!


Okay, this one is so so so easy for me. I didn't even have to think about it. I absolutely LOOOOOVED Persistence of Vision by Liesel K Hill. It's everything that I love in a book, and the writing is beyond spectacular. If you haven't read this, I definitely, definitely recommend that you check it out. Seriously. Do it. You won't regret it! I'm even going to give you all the Goodreads info on it, because I'm that serious about it. 

In a world where collective hives are enslaving the population and individuals have been hunted to the verge of extinction, Maggie Harper, and independent 21st Century woman, must find the strength to preserve the freedom of the future, but without the aid of her memories.

After experiencing a traumatic time loss, Maggie is plagued by a barrage of images she can't explain. When she's attacked by a creep with a spider's web tattoo, she is saved by Marcus, a man she's never met, but somehow remembers. He tells her that both he and her creepy attacker are from a future in which individuals are being murdered by collectives, and Marcus is part of the rebellion. The collectives have acquired time travel and they plan to enslave the human race throughout all of history. The flashes Maggie has been seeing are echoes of lost memories, and the information buried deep within them is instrumental in defeating the collective hives.

In order to preserve the individuality of mankind, Maggie must try to re-discover stolen memories, re-kindle friendships she has no recollection of, and wade through her feelings for the mysterious Marcus, all while dodging the tattooed assassins the collectives keep sending her way.

If Maggie can't fill the holes in her memory and find the answers to stop the collectives, the world both in her time and in all ages past and future will be doomed to enslavement in the grey, mediocre collectives. As the danger swirls around her and the collectives close in, Maggie realizes she must make a choice: stand out or fade away...

*New Adult futuristic dystopian fantasy

Go get!
- Kristen

I too liked the Persistence of Vision, just so you all know.
A book that I liked that nobody has really heard of? Okay, um.
I had to go far back for this one because I usually read what Kristen tells me or what is placed in popular spots in our local bookstore.

I remember really enjoying The Clockwork Giant by Brooke Johnson. I remember it as being a very interesting world that I fell in love with. I mean, sure, it was a little bit juvenile and it really wasn't the best writing that I ever saw but it was interesting. I wish the second novel had some out. I knew that there was one planed but I never heard anything more. I think this came to us as an ARC way back when we just started.

Seventeen-year-old Petra Wade, self-taught clockwork engineer, wants nothing more than to become a certified member of the Guild, an impossible dream for a lowly shop girl. Still, she refuses to give up, tinkering with any machine she can get her hands on, in between working and babysitting her foster siblings. 

When Emmerich Goss—handsome, privileged, and newly recruited into the Guild—needs help designing a new clockwork system for a top-secret automaton, it seems Petra has finally found the opportunity she’s been waiting for. But if her involvement on the project is discovered, Emmerich will be marked for treason, and a far more dire fate would await Petra.
Working together in secret, they build the clockwork giant, but as the deadline for its completion nears, Petra discovers a sinister conspiracy from within the Guild council … and their automaton is just the beginning.


I'm not as serious about this novel as Kristen was about her's but I figured you might want the Goodreads info anyway so there you go!

- Kelsey
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I, unlike those two wieners, have not read The Persistence of Vision, but Kristen is probably gonna throw it at my face until I read it. For my book that I liked that no one has heard of, I'm going to have to give it to Leftovers by Laura Wiess. This book deals with pretty serious and heavy topics, and I haven't heard of many people mentioning this book. While it wasn't really the best thing I've ever read, I find the narration style to be quite individualistic. It is essentially a story of two girls who tell the story of an act of revenge and the events leading up to this vengeance. While I don't see many male readers able to understand, though I think many woman and girls who go or have gone through daily pressures of life and high school can read this book and appreciate the messages it relays. Again, this may not have been the best book I've ever read, I still enjoyed it and recommend it for any woman to pick up!

- Kayla



14 comments:

  1. Wow the cover looks sooo ominous! I love it! Nice title too
    I'll be checking this out
    New GFC Follower


    -Nicolette @ A Read-aholic

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoh nice! I've heard of the first one but not the second!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of either book, but I have heard of the author of the first book. Thanks for stopping by and following! Old GFC follower, new BlogLoving and Instagram follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound like interesting books! Here's my FF:

    http://rabbitearsbookblog.blogspot.com/2015/09/feature-and-follow-friday-15-labor-day.html

    Following you through GFC and Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so bad, the first cover look a lot like Mr bean. LOL. The clockwork Giant sounds so intriguing! :)

    Donita @ My Random Book thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not read any of those books. Kirsten please don't try to throw it at my face :) I loved the end of Kelsey's part.

    P.S. Following you back

    ReplyDelete
  7. All these books sounded really interesting and I'm really surprised that I hadn't heard of any of them. Definitely adding The Clockwork Giant though because it falls in the genre's that I love. Great picks!

    Old follower!
    Betsy @ I Sold My Soul For Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard a lot about Liesel Hill particularly because we have a similar first name but I never tried getting a book from her.

    I'm a new GFC and bloglovin follower. Please follow me back via zirev.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of any of those! But they looks so great! Old GFC follower! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard of Persistence of Vision but I have never gotten around to reading it. But with such glowing recommendations, I think I will need to give it a try!

    Thanks for stopping by my post earlier :) old GFC follower

    Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't heard of any of these books but they all sound interesting. And so varied! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh.My.Gosh. My TBR is getting fatter and fatter!! I want ALL THREE of these books in it!!! But I'll be honest.....my top favorite is "Persistence of Vision". There are parts of the world in which people are STILL feeling pressured to conform, to be "like everybody else". And some of those places are right here in the U.S.A. I know, because I've felt this pressure myself, at home and work..... So I'll go with this one first. Then, on to "The Clockwork Giant", because, although I'm not mechanically-inclined myself, I admire girls and women who are. And last but definitely NOT least, I'm tackling "Leftovers", because it's an unfortunate fact of life that women can be HORRIBLE to each other. So thanks for sharing these three AWWWWSOME books!!

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my own FF post!! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Recent GFC follower, and will now add your blog to Bloglovin', so I can follow with that option, too!! : )

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...