18 August 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Of Your Auto-buy Authors


Hello again, friends! Hope you all had a lovely week! I know I did ... in that I sprained my ankle so I've been pretty much bed ridden for the entire week, but I did go to sushi with Kristen and one of our other friends, and I SAW THIS FISH THIS IS A LINK TO MY PERSONAL INSTAGRAM VIDEO IN WHICH THIS FISH DID SOME WICKED COOL THING PLEASE GO WATCH IT I WAS WATCHING THIS FISH FOR LITERALLY AN HOUR.

Anyways, this week's Top Ten Tuesday topic (literally this alliteration gets me every time) is our top ten auto-buy authors, and again, this is going to be different for each of us on this blog, but this is my (Kayla) personal list. As per usual, our Top Ten Tuesday topic comes from TheBrokeAndTheBookish go check em out they're rad.

1. Sarah J. Maas
It should really be a surprise to absolutely no one that Sarah J. Maas is very first auto-buy authors. I know she has a few books in the works as of now, as well as QUEEN OF SHADOWS COMING OUT IN A MERE 16 DAYS HOLY COW. Her worlds are so unique and her characters (especially male suitors mmm mmm) are written to perfection. She has such a way with words that completely captures me, so much so that I want a quote of my favourite series (TOG duh) tattooed onto my body. Permanently forever. I just love Sarah J. Maas so much.


2. John Green
I love John Green. As you probably could have told from my last Top Ten Tuesday, I enjoyed all of John Green's books immensely, especially The Fault in Our Stars. For such a long time, TFIOS had been my favourite book (until TOG swept in and stole the title), and John as a person is hilarious, sassy, and truly cares for his characters. Seeing the stories John has written come to life is something he is also truly passionate about, and you can tell through his books that his passion for writing is one that is a huge part of his life.

3. Renee Adieh
2015, so far, has been a year full of epic debut novels, one of them in particular being The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Adieh. If you have no read this book, go do that now. Stop what you're doing, and go buy it. Read it. Then come back. This book, while I admittedly have some problems with (see my review here), this book was incredible, and the writing is some of the most beautifully scripted I have ever encountered. This book deserves all the hype surrounding it and then some.

4. Suzanne Collins
The Hunger Games trilogy was where I initially dipped my toes into the genre of dystopia, and Suzanne Collins did not let me down, oh no. This trilogy is so well crafted, full of tropes and foreshadowing and metaphors and many literary devices it should be studied in an English class. Honestly I think it is in some places. That would've been better than a lot of the crap I had to read in high school.... Anyway, Suzanne Collins' artistry that is presented in her Hunger Games trilogy really set the bar high for other authors of the same genre, therefore I will gravitate toward any bind up of pages with her name on it.

5. Lauren Oliver
While I may have some problems with the Delirium trilogy and her novel Panic, I thoroughly enjoyed the roller coaster that was Lauren Oliver's books. While I may not have read ALL of her books, whenever I discover she has written something new and exciting, you can bet I have my nose up in that trying to figure out who what when where why and how. I am partially ashamed that I have yet to purchase/read Vanishing Girls, but I mean sometimes budget is a thing that exists. Despite money issues, if I had an unlimited budget, you bet Lauren Oliver's books of the past, present and future would be on my to-buy list.

6. Sabaa Tahir
Comparatively to The Wrath and the Dawn, another debut novel that came out and lived up to the expectations was An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir. How she thought she could get away with leaving this book as a standalone is beyond comprehension. This book was action packed, mysterious, and made me feel all the things in the absolutely best way possible. I highly recommend this novel to anyone interested in fantasy, and dystopia, as it has all the elements to make an amazing start to an epic series/trilogy/idk what this is going to be but MORE IS COMING
7. Marissa Meyer
The Lunar Chronicles has to be one of my most beloved series. It's twist on retellings is absolutely incredible, and it definitely put Marissa Meyer on the list of one of my favourite authors. Not only does she have a brilliant way with words, but the way her stories intertwine with each other to create the large scale story while still having minor storylines within them as well is an aspect she does admiringly well. If you have not yet read the Lunar Chronicles, what the hell are you waiting for? Do yourself a favour and dapple in some Marissa Meyer!

8.  Morgan Matson
Whilst I have only read one of her books, the one I did read (Amy & Roger's) is probably one of my favourite contemporaries I've ever come across, and I undoubtedly plan to read Matson's past, present, and future books in the near future. Her ability to entangle romance and family and self growth into one book of greatness is an ability not many contemporary YA authors can hold to their name. Because they gave it to Matson. She's great. Read Amy & Roger's now please thanks.

I'm so bad at Top Ten Tuesdays. I'm going to have to cheat again and leave the list with these awesome authors. I promise I will try to do better next time! Make sure to leave a link below to your Top Ten Tuesday so I can find more amazing books and authors to love & hate all at the same time

And with that, I bid you adieu,
Kayla @ one-chapter-ahead

2 comments:

  1. These are all great authors :D I LOVE Sarah J Maas, John Green and Marissa Meyer :D!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I still need to read Ahdieh and Tabir! Hoping to read those soon!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...