7 August 2015

Review: The Heir by Kiera Cass

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Kiera Cass
Pages: 342
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 7/10

Summary (thanks, Goodreads):

Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.

My Thoughts:
I am completely and utterly aware of the vastly different opinions people have of this book, but wow, I really enjoyed it! At first I was nervous about the continuation of the series, how it would be focusing on America and Maxon's daughter, worried that it would be corny and weird and uncomfortable. Honestly, though, I thought this was a great start to a "companion" series.

I thought Eadlyn was much more tolerable than America was, and I love seeing the Selection process through the royal's perspective for a change. There were many aspects of her character that I did enjoy, but I can also understand and appreciate why other readers might not like her and find her bratty and whiny. To me, Eadlyn is strong and independent, and I admire her mindset of not wanting a husband, but wanting to rule on her own, to be free of the constraints of marriage. Her stubbornness, fear and reluctance toward the boys did frustrate me.

One thing that did bug me about this book was the constant hints toward America and Maxon's selection; the way they kept sneaking glances at each other at times when they were reminded of their selection, or little snippets of what happened throughout the original three books. I personally hated that and it got pretty annoying. Also, I didn't like how America and Maxon's motivations for having a selection in the first place. I think they could have probably thought of a better solution.

Final Thoughts:
I enjoyed this book and I can't wait to see what happens! The twists and turns through the book had me on my toes, a place where I like to be while reading! I recommend if you've read the Selection trilogy, because why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...