5 June 2015

Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 433
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: 9/10

Summary (thanks, Goodreads):
A coming-of-age tale of fanfiction, family and first love

CATH IS A SIMON SNOW FAN. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan... But for Cath, being a fan is her life--and she's really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it's what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fanfiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath's sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can't let go. She doesn't want to.

Now that they're going to college, Wren has told Cath that she doesn't want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She's got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend; a fiction-writing professor who thinks fanfiction is the end of the civilized world; a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words...and she can't stop worrying about her dad, who's loving and fragile and has never really been alone

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?

My Thoughts:
Cath may be a Simon Snow fan, but this book definitely turned me into a Rainbow Rowell fan.
This book was an amazing introductory novel into the world of Rainbow Rowell, and though I have yet to get to Eleanor and Park, and I m very excited to do so. This book has everything without being overpowering, and, living as a fangirl myself, it was awesome to see that rather than people criticizing and judging this lifestyle, Rowell made it into a realistic story about a girl trying to find her independence and way into the real world, which is very difficult to do. Believe me, I know.
Cath is an amazingly relatable character who is just trying to do well in school and excel in the domain she loves, writing, both fan fiction and for school, and seeing the passion she has for it and the way it drives her is so cute and relatable. The relationship she has with her dad and her sister, despite its instability, is genuine and lovely, and she's just scared to let go. That aspect is something I think a lot of people can relate to, especially having to leave home and forced to be in unfamiliar situations with unfamiliar people.
I loved Levi. Can I have one? Or seven? He was so cute and the relationship he developed with Cath was formed very realistically. The moments they shared were completely heart-swelling and I never wanted it to end. I don't want to spoil anything, but when Levi told Cath about the thing and she helped him by doing the thing... You have to know what I mean if you've read this book. IT WAS JUST SO ADORABLE.
Wren was also a force to be reckon with. That spontaneity that drove her through the entire novel impacted Cath and seeing them eventually come together when they needed each other most was so inspiring it honestly made me want a twin. I'm jealous of all the twins in the world.

Final thoughts:
I could go on and on about this book and it's been one of my favourites. Best word I can use to describe this book is SOUTTERLYCUTEANDADORABLEANDIWANTMORE . Yes, that is one word don't fight me. I would be completely okay and transfixed if a sequel were to come out! Come on, Rainbow, make it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...