29 May 2015

Review: These Broken Stars

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
Pages: 374
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: 7.5/10

Summary (thanks, Goodreads):

Luxury spaceliner Icarus suddenly plummets from hyperspace into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive -- alone. Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a cynical war hero. Both journey across the eerie deserted terrain for help. Everything changes when they uncover the truth.

My Thoughts:
I have some conflicting emotions and problems with this novel. As a whole, though, it’s pretty good.

Personally, I felt the beginning of this book was extremely anticlimactic and I didn't like the entire first half. But I feel as though the last half was worth it. The mystery in this book is so overwhelming and I don't understand a lot of. I feel as though the romance was forced at the beginning, and the way they interacted with each other was not effective. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but the first 200 or so pages didn't really have me caring about what happened.
BUT THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN I WAS EXTREMELY ATTACHED TO THESE CHARACTERS. I have no idea what happened, but I found myself completely invested in Lilac and Tarver, as they drove the story. I'm not sure what it was, but I seriously could not stop reading it. I fell for Tarver and their romance was suddenly too precious to stand.
I'm not sure, because I felt so meh about the first half of the book and LOVED the second half, I couldn't really give this book 5 stars, but I can't say I hated it either. It was just that a lot of things bugged me. Lilac was annoying at the beginning of the story, and so many things were left unexplained. The world building could have been stronger, as I could not clearly picture the scene around me. There were a lot of things toward the end that I didn't understand, a lot of concepts that weren't explained in enough detail for me to comprehend. The premise of the story and the relationship between the two were solid, but sometimes the characters bugged me, I didn't understand all the sciencey stuff that happened, and I am still confused by the ending and what it was that happened to Lilac exactly. I can’t say much else without spoiling. Still, I recommend it.

Final Thoughts:
i hated the beginning and loved the ending. maybe if the development was better and the romance wasn’t pushed onto the reader from literally the first page, i could have given this a 10/10. the end of this book, though, was fabulous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...