24 April 2015

Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Pages: 418
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: /10

Summary (thanks Goodreads):
From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie...and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.

My Thoughts:
**I SUGGEST NOT READING THIS REVIEW IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THRONE OF GLASS, AND IF YOU HAVEN’T FIRST OF ALL HOW DARE YOU**

OKAY IF YOU READ THRONE OF GLASS AND HAVEN’T READ THIS ONE YET WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU WAITING FOR I’M SO JUDGING YOU. this book was intense as hell. it had me on such a roller coaster i couldn't stop screaming. I LOVED THIS BOOK. SO MUCH. honestly, it’s like 10 times better than Throne, and at the end i was completely overwhelmed and i didn't know where i was, who i was, nothing. Maas' writing, impeccable, just as Throne was. Again, completely lost in the words and the world itself and i felt like i could feel what Celaena was feeling and i felt like she grew as a character and i GREW AS A PERSON. AND NO I AM NOT BEING DRAMATIC. celaena’s character is extremely dynamic and we get to see so many sides of her and then she goes and THROWS US A FUCKING CURVEBALL AT THE VERY END OF THE GODDAMN BOOK but we see Celaena at such a low point, and then we see her as she’s slaying all these asses who try to get in her way. like girl is there anything you can't do?
and then dorian. D'OH. DORIAN. SUCH DEVELOPMENT :'D he's growing into himself and you can literally see him before your eyes developing. I LOVE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT LIKE THIS. when I read Throne of Glass, I was slowly getting out of my reading slump, and it took me a loooooooooong time to read it, which pissed me off, and it’s also probably why I didn’t like it as much as I liked Crown. I flew through Crown (considering school & work factored into time wasted when i could have been READING like bitch pls i have priorities why r u forcing me to attend these functions) and like, this book made me love Dorian SO MUCH MORE as a character, especially now that he's growing into himself and knowing where he stands and his beliefs. and just the way he cares for Celaena i feel such love.

okay, Chaol, i haven't forgotten about you, boo. honestly this book made me like his character much more too, because we learn so much more about his family and how his relationship with them and how he feels about celaena. all the little things (yes i did just sing one direction in my head) in between him and Celaena were just so cute. like THEY WERE SO CUTE. SO CUTE ALL SO CUTE and then things happened and i couldn’t deal and i basically had to stop myself from screaming profanities at 5 am.

idk at this point i’m feel like i am team dorian because he’s just the cutest little thing and he’s funny and he reads and even though he’s a “lady’s man” he just genuinely wants celaena and i mean idk man. this is difficult. i love dorian. like i love him. i want him.

Final thoughts:
 i really can't get into much more of the story without giving things away, but READ THIS BOOK I COMMAND IT it's honesty incredible, there was not a single moment where i was bored or wanted to put it down. from cover to cover i was completely indulged. i'm so excited for heir of fire, but i feel i must give my emotions some rest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...